1997-11-19 - Re: Report on UN conference on Internet and racism

Header Data

From: nobody@REPLAY.COM (Anonymous)”Bob O’Booey” <a-hole@dev.null>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 686686b7ca3078148a92dc40a5828a312e6f9290d4c364e2c3d3381b57938fd4
Message ID: <199711190258.DAA27799@basement.replay.com>
Raw Date: Wed, 19 Nov 1997 11:09:41 +0800

Raw message

From: nobody@REPLAY.COM (Anonymous)"Bob O'Booey" <a-hole@dev.null>
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 1997 11:09:41 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Report on UN conference on Internet and racism

Mr. Geiger writes:

>I think that there is plenty of case law of extending constutional
>protections to non-citizens. One that comes to mind were the rulings
>against California inwhich the courts ruled the they were obligated to
>provide schooling and social services to illegal aliens (a really fucked
>rulling IMNSHO but if some good can come out of it no sense not making use
>of it).

But that applied to non-citizens on US soil. IIRC, it removed the
distinction between "good aliens" (i.e., those who had green cards) and
"bad aliens" where availability of services was concerned.

I don't think non-citizens who aren't on US soil have any particular
protection under US law. They can bring a lawsuit against the US or a US
entity, but I think that's about it (cf. Jim Choate's posting of the
relevant Constitutional sections).

Thread