1997-11-15 - Re: This judge needs killing

Header Data

From: Paul Bradley <paul@fatmans.demon.co.uk>
To: Tim May <tcmay@got.net>
Message Hash: 78e7e8ea128bed2bcf1c340f3bc833ccb41e4d56e3fcc6338a7a039eae7f874e
Message ID: <Pine.LNX.3.91.971114182550.229A@fatmans.demon.co.uk>
Reply To: <v0310280bb092291ceb73@[207.167.93.63]>
UTC Datetime: 1997-11-15 09:37:51 UTC
Raw Date: Sat, 15 Nov 1997 17:37:51 +0800

Raw message

From: Paul Bradley <paul@fatmans.demon.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 15 Nov 1997 17:37:51 +0800
To: Tim May <tcmay@got.net>
Subject: Re: This judge needs killing

> >Another judge who has richly earned the death penalty.
>
> This stifling of free speech, by both state and corporate interests, is a
> trend spreadingl like wildfire in the Western world.

Indeed, it is more and more the case that I see opinions in officials and
members of the public that would be comically stupid, if they did not
infringe so far on the rights of others. There are many reasons for this,
mostly rooted in the controlled media, education as well, to choose any
old example, the use in schools of the word "wrong" to mean "illegal"
restricts the vocabulary of children in such a way as to encourage the
synonymity of the two words, eg. If the govt. says it`s wrong it is wrong,
regardless of the ethical arguments. Even seemingly intelligent adults
fail to make the distinction between legality/illegality and right/wrong.
I may be ranting here, but whenever I get into discussion about this I am
reminded of the stubborn behaviour of many acquaintances of mine, even some
fairly intelligent family members who, given the chance, would restrict
the speech of others to what was deemed "appropriate", this in turn leaves
me ranting and frustrated because I cannot get away with putting these
people up against a wall and taking the appropriate action with a .45,
which, I can assure you, would relieve a great deal of stress.

> Libel, slander, defamation, damage, incitement, sedition, and obscenity
> cases are squelching free speech. Publishers are held liable for the words
> of others, and even distributors are held liable.

Indeed, Libel is merely an official way of recovering losses incurred due
to the stupidity of the general public, if I publish a defamatory and
unpleasant story about Tim in a newsgroup, he can sue me because of the
damage done to his reputation, of course, only stupid members of the
public believe unfounded and referenceless (is that a real word???? ;-))
defamatory stories about others, and the more people that believe a
story, the higher the compensation required, hence, it can be shown that
the relative size of libel case settlements is inversely proportional to
the average IQ of the general public ;-)....

> (Hey, if the Paladin case withstands Supreme Court scrutiny and his upheld,
> look for the Cypherpunks list node distributors to face criminal charges.)

Looks like it`s about time I set up majordomo on my other acct and
started running a node, lets see what UK law has to say.

        Datacomms Technologies data security
       Paul Bradley, Paul@fatmans.demon.co.uk
  Paul@crypto.uk.eu.org, Paul@cryptography.uk.eu.org
       Http://www.cryptography.home.ml.org/