1997-11-05 - Re: SynCrypt: the new PGP?

Header Data

From: “Michael H. Warfield” <mhw@wittsend.com>
To: bs@dev.null.wittsend.com
Message Hash: 8173a356450b504b2a32fec43f52a8a76f22b1ad5f330d601ba496b3b08ec086
Message ID: <199711050500.AAA05681@alcove.wittsend.com>
Reply To: <345FD534.3258@dev.null>
UTC Datetime: 1997-11-05 05:21:45 UTC
Raw Date: Wed, 5 Nov 1997 13:21:45 +0800

Raw message

From: "Michael H. Warfield" <mhw@wittsend.com>
Date: Wed, 5 Nov 1997 13:21:45 +0800
To: bs@dev.null.wittsend.com
Subject: Re: SynCrypt: the new PGP?

Uhhh....

	Can anyone tell for sure what's up with Bruce...

	After getting this message and responding to it, I dropped a note
over to Bruce's centerpane address...

Bruce Schneier enscribed thusly:
> Michael H. Warfield wrote:
> >         Nooo...  Actually, at the moment, we are just trusting their word.
> > So far, we haven't heard a peep from Bruce.  Maybe Bruce is working with
> > them, and that's all well and good, but until such time that we hear so
> > from Bruce in a way that we can authenticate, we are not even up to the
> > point of trusting him as yet.  We are still at the point of trusting
> > whatever they are telling us.

> Help!!!
> They are holding me hostage at syncrypt.com and using my name
> to promote their product.

> Please! Believe me! This is not just another unclever trick by
> that forging rat bastard from sk.sympatico.ca.

> Bruce

	When I forwarded my message to Bruce's address at centerpane
"just to be sure" here is what I got back...

> From schneier@mixer.visi.com  Tue Nov  4 23:46:24 1997
> Date: Tue, 4 Nov 1997 22:45:43 -0600 (CST)
> Posted-Date: Tue, 4 Nov 1997 22:45:43 -0600 (CST)
> From: schneier@visi.com (via the vacation program)
> Subject: Schneier is missing; last seen headed for Beijing
>
> I will be away from my email until Saturday, 11/15. I won't be taking
> a computer with me, so I won't have any email access until I return.
> If you really need to get in touch with me, try leaving a voice
> message at 612 823 1098.  And be patiend.
>
> Information on Counterpane Systems consulting business, the
> corrected 5th printing of Applied Cryptography 2nd Edition,
> my new book (The Electronic Privacy Papers), my S/MIME exploit,
> the PasswordSafe program, and a lot of other things can be found
> on my webiste:
>
> 	http://www.counterpane.com/
>
> Thanks,
> Bruce

	Ok...  If he didn't take a computer with him then he just gave
new meaning to sending a message from @dev.null...  Yeah right.  Got about
a week and a half till he's back, according to this...

	Is it Bruce or is it Memorex...  On the Internet...  Who can tell?

	Mike
--
 Michael H. Warfield    |  (770) 985-6132   |  mhw@WittsEnd.com
  (The Mad Wizard)      |  (770) 925-8248   |  http://www.wittsend.com/mhw/