1997-11-13 - Re: FC: CDA: The Sequel – introduced in the U.S. Senate

Header Data

From: Marc Rotenberg <rotenberg@epic.org> (by way of Declan McCullagh)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 8d3aea859d2f25fe6b3473e10a21f3596cb8a25e9c1406a9b8398b906f05a7d5
Message ID: <v03007802b09014e0d7da@[168.161.105.216]>
Raw Date: Thu, 13 Nov 1997 10:33:06 +0800

Raw message

From: Marc Rotenberg <rotenberg@epic.org> (by way of Declan McCullagh)
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 1997 10:33:06 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: FC: CDA: The Sequel -- introduced in the U.S. Senate

Danny -

Since you have associated EPIC's position on the White
"compromise" with CDT's, I feel some obligation to
correct the record.

We did not, as you recall, support that bill which
included the harmful to minor standard because we
believed it was contrary to generally accepted First
Amendment standards.

CDT supported the White measure and went to great pains
to blame the members of the conference committee who
did not endorse it. (I'd be happy to dig out the
news reports on this point if there is any question).

The Court's opinion in Reno v. ACLU seems to support our
position. I do not think the White bill that you
supported would have survived a Constitutional
challenge.

I wish to make a second point also. You accused
Declan of mischaracterizing CDT's position on the
White legislation. I'm still not clear exactly what
he got wrong. But you have surely mischaracterized
Larry Lessig's position in suggesting that he
supports passage of new legislation.

The O'Connor opinion, which by the way is a concurrence
and not a dissent, relies on an article by Lessig in
which he observes that restrictions have been upheld
where procedures are established to segregate (zone)
adult content. Thus the so-called Ginsburg statute.

I read Larry's analysis and his subsequent commentary
more as a warning than a recommendation. Establish
such zones and content-based controls become
permissible. Thus O'Connor's opinion seems to suggest
that labels used to distinguish content based
not on traditional library classifications (history,
literature, etc) but on whether such information is
suitable for minors would make it easier to
permit regulation.

I am not particularly interested in a lengthy back
and forth on this topic. I do think it is important
to set the record straight on EPIC and CDTs views
on the White bill. We did not agree then. You
cannot change that now. I also think you should
think a little more carefully about whether the
rating systems you promote will make it easier
for a CDA II to survive a Constitutional challenge.

Regards,

Marc.

At 12:05 AM -0000 11/13/97, Daniel J. Weitzner wrote:
>Declan,
>
>It's kind of you to get the word out about this new Coats bill, but you
>have managed to seriously mischaracterize CDT's position on the White
>legislation of 1995.  We did not believe that Congress should have passed
>the White Compromise, and certaily never "embraced" it, as you write.
>Based on my initial reading of the Coats bill, we will certainly oppose it.
>
>The Coats bill, with it's emphasis on age verification as a means to
>"protect" kids and provide online publishers with liability limitation, is
>actually a direct result of Justice O'Connor's dissenting opinion in the
>CDA case and her desire to try to "zone" cyberspace.  Following Larry
>Lessig, she suggests that instead of relying on individually-controlled
>blocking and filtering software, it is better for the government to require
>that certain content be placed behind age verification firewalls.  Prof.
>Lessig prefers this zoning to what you have characterized as "censorware."
>I hope that you, as an opponent of user empowerment filtering tools like
>Larry, do not prefer this O'Connor/Lessig approach too?
>
>I can't remember whether you were actually around in 1995, either as
>journalist or activist, so let me remind you of what we and other civil
>liberties advocates like Marc Rotenberg of EPIC said.
>
>In the New York Times (12/2/95, p.A1)
>
>   "While it does embody much of the original Exon proposal, it does so in
>a way
>that tries to embody a constitutionally recognized standard," said Jerry
>Berman, director of the Center of Democracy and Technology, a nonprofit group
>that focuses on civil rights and technology issues.
>
>and Jerry went on to say:
>
>"I don't think we need any legislation at all."
>
>Marc seemed to take a similar position:
>
>"It is preferable to the Exon bill, but ultimately this issue will be
>resolved in the courts, which is where it should be resolved," said Marc
>Rotenberg....
>
>Both CDT and EPIC recognized that as a plain matter of constitional law,
>the "harmful to minor" standard is more broadly accepted by courts around
>the country, but that the legislation was still an unwise infringement on
>Internet speech.
>
>We still believe that.
>
>We can certainly have a discussion about the various legislative strategies
>employed during the final days of the CDA debate and House-Senate
>conference, but frankly I think there's more important work to do.
>
>I hope that future discussions on this list can focus on how to defeat
>misguided efforts like the Coats bill, instead of misleading
>characterization of the past.
>
>Finally, Declan, I would suggest that when you want to characterize CDT
>positions you talk to someone at CDT, or at least find some documentation
>of your assertions.  I know that you recognize you have an obligation as a
> [...]

Marc Rotenberg, director                *   +1 202 544 9240 (tel)
Electronic Privacy Information Center   *   +1 202 547 5482 (fax)
666 Pennsylvania Ave., SE Suite 301     *   rotenberg@epic.org
Washington, DC 20003   USA              +   http://www.epic.org