1997-11-16 - Re: Clinton freezes imported assault weapons [CNN]

Header Data

From: Tim May <tcmay@got.net>
To: cypherpunks@ssz.com
Message Hash: 96da8cf3be5dc9035c2c4ed62ee34271a5ebef9c54dff5e17f75b43969270088
Message ID: <v0310281fb093db21e155@[207.167.93.63]>
Reply To: <199711152357.RAA09522@einstein.ssz.com>
UTC Datetime: 1997-11-16 00:15:15 UTC
Raw Date: Sun, 16 Nov 1997 08:15:15 +0800

Raw message

From: Tim May <tcmay@got.net>
Date: Sun, 16 Nov 1997 08:15:15 +0800
To: cypherpunks@ssz.com
Subject: Re: Clinton freezes imported assault weapons [CNN]

At 4:57 PM -0700 11/15/97, Jim Choate wrote:
> [...]

It's what I've been saying here! The ban is coming.

>>      The freeze will keep an estimated 1.6 million weapons from coming
>>      into the United States while Treasury officials review a ban passed
>>      in 1994 as part of a larger crime bill. Clinton says overseas
>>      manufacturers are taking advantage of a loophole in the law by
>>      making cosmetic changes that enable the weapons to be imported for
>>      "sporting" purposes.

Translation: We passed some laws, importers found ways to fully comply with
the laws (at their expense). But now we're going to ignore the law, and
ignore their compliance, and take steps to force these importers out of
business.

Amerika is no longer a nation of laws. Even the draconian laws are ignored
for political grandstanding.

>>      The National Rifle Association says Clinton's order "shows more
>>      hypocrisy and deception than ever before."
>>
>>      "The guns Clinton wishes to ban from importation conform in every
>>      way to the law Clinton wrote, signed, pledged would rid the streets
>>      of violence in 1994, and trumpets to the press whenever his scandals
>>      get out of hand," said NRA spokeswoman Tanya Metaksa.

I quit the NRA a few years ago, feeling it was too wimpy and namby pamby
about basic rights.

They tried to bargain with the Administration, they tried to reach a
"compromise." This is what it got them.

There are obvious lessons for the crypto industry here. And for the efforts
by CDT, EPIC, and others to negotiate with politicians.

--Tim May