1997-11-19 - Re: Exporting crypto from Japan

Header Data

From: Tim May <tcmay@got.net>
To: Joichi Ito <cypherpunks@cyberpass.net
Message Hash: 9ce36f86f6d694a81a0c39cc285eb34555aa22f1e3ef54fb87e748227e57ba3d
Message ID: <v0310280ab09818cc0f2e@[207.167.93.63]>
Reply To: <v03102823b094cab52ad8@[207.167.93.63]>
UTC Datetime: 1997-11-19 05:27:12 UTC
Raw Date: Wed, 19 Nov 1997 13:27:12 +0800

Raw message

From: Tim May <tcmay@got.net>
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 1997 13:27:12 +0800
To: Joichi Ito <cypherpunks@cyberpass.net
Subject: Re: Exporting crypto from Japan

At 4:43 PM -0700 11/16/97, Joichi Ito wrote:

>who also have domestic political strength. Also, I looked into the "Chobetsu"
>that you refered to in a previous message and I think you are refering to the
>"Naikaku Chosashitsu Betsushitsu" which is the group that engages in the often
>rather shady "super-legal" actions like stamping out political parties and
>going after cults. I don't think they have any direct involvement in the
>current
>RSA issue and I wouldn't call them "Japan's NSA." They are more like some
>kind of secret police. (I can already image the kind of messages I'm going to
>receive on this list for engaging with you at this level of dialog, but for

As I said earlier, Richelson's comprehensive study of foreign intelligence
agencies describes it as Chobetsu, as does Hersh. Perhaps there is an issue
of transliteration here?

I found one of my Web page bookmarks, http://www.onestep.com/milnet/iagency.htm

and it lists various SIGINT agencies. As these may be of interest to
others, I will include the full list below, including the description of
Chobetsu:

Principle SIGINT Collection Organizations

Mnemonic   Service Name                     Branch
Country
AFMBW      Amt Fur Frenmeldwesen            Branch of the              West
             Bundeswehr (Office for         Bundeswher                 Germany
             Radio Monitoring)

AMAN       Agaf Modiin (Intelligence        Intelligence Corps,        Israel
             Branch of Israeli Defense      SIGINT
             Forces)

Chobetsu   Ground Self-Defense Forces       Investigation              Japan
                      Division,
                      Second Section,
                      Annex Chamber

CSE        Communications Security          Under the Department       Canada
             Establishment                  of Defense

DGSE       Direction Generale de            Information                France
             la Securite Exterieure         Directorate,
                                            Technical Means
                                            Branch, and
                                            Evaluations,
                                            Prospectives,
                                            Orientation Branch

GCHQ       General Communications           Directorate of             UK
           Headquarters                     SIGINT Operations

GCR        Groupement de Communications     -                          France
             (Radio-Electric
             Communications Group)

HSR        Hlavni Sprava Rozvedky           Directorate D              Czecho.
             (Main Directorate of the       Third Department
             General Staff)

NSA        National Security Agency         Office of SIGINT           US
                                            (P Group), Analysis
                                            of SIGINT

SIOS       Secondo Reparto (Second          Under each of Navy         Italy
             Department                     Army, and Air Force
                                            Intelligence

SISMI      Servizio perle Informazioni      ?                          Italy
             e la Sicurezza Militaire
             (Service for Information and
             Military Security)

TD         Technical Department             ?                          China