1997-11-20 - Re: This judge needs killing

Header Data

From: Robert Hettinga <rah@shipwright.com>
To: cypherpunks@cyberpass.net
Message Hash: a8a3e4383118948076324c98ac17ac8d5f36e4ae7175af87c41b69a6d3d907e9
Message ID: <v0400274ab0990e74923b@[139.167.130.248]>
Reply To: <Pine.LNX.3.91.971113183601.846A-100000@fatmans.demon.co.uk>
UTC Datetime: 1997-11-20 03:07:38 UTC
Raw Date: Thu, 20 Nov 1997 11:07:38 +0800

Raw message

From: Robert Hettinga <rah@shipwright.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 1997 11:07:38 +0800
To: cypherpunks@cyberpass.net
Subject: Re: This judge needs killing

At 11:18 am -0500 on 11/14/97, Tim May wrote:

> Even here on Cypherpunks we see toadies like Bob Hettinga fretting that our
> words are going too far, that we must learn to police ourselves or the
> police will be forced to do so.

Nice try, Tim.

Frankly, if you, or Paul Bradley, want to stand up and call for the death
of anyone, a federal judge, or the President of the United States, or the
Pope, for that matter, you're welcome to do so. Have fun, you crazy kids...

You just sound like loons, is all, and, at some point, you're going to piss
someone off who'll have less brains but more guns than you do, and enough
lawyers after the fact to make it all stick. My opinion, of course. Free
speech, and all that. :-).

So, no, Tim, I don't believe that the mellenium is here, that the Forces of
Darkness are building in the shadows, much less going to Thanksgiving
dinner at Uncle Tim's house.

I think that they're just as fucked up as they always were, Tim. If we keep
making progress, and, barring some major silliness you or I can't even
fathom, progress in cryptography is practically an economic necessity, now,
they'll continue to bluster like some charging rhino or something, but they
can't hurt anyone who's paying attention and has the proper tools.

So, boys and girls, do you think you can stay out of the way of a very
dangerous cornered animal? Well, yes, probably, by very dint of the fact
that *you've* cornered it. However, if you think it's necessary to either
prove your bravery by tempting it to give you an ad hoc rectal exam, or
worse, by ignoring it (no one here's guilt of that, I bet) then you're
welcome to try to survive your case of testosterone poisoning, but don't
say I didn't warn you...

We have only the example of Jim Bell to remind us that when you bang on the
gorilla's cage, you should expect to get shit thrown in your face. Yes, I
saw what looks like Tim's repost of my "coalmine" message go by, and I
don't think my opinion of Bell's situation has changed since then, but I've
decided to shovel Tim's dreck FIFO, for the time being, to keep better tabs
on it.

Cheers,
Bob Hettinga

Robert Hettinga (rah@shipwright.com), Philodox
e$, 44 Farquhar Street, Boston, MA 02131 USA
The e$ Home Page: http://www.shipwright.com/
Ask me about FC98 in Anguilla!: <http://www.fc98.ai/>

Thread