1997-11-27 - Re: Further costs of war (fwd)

Header Data

From: dlv@bwalk.dm.com (Dr.Dimitri Vulis KOTM)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: ad647d94484e512efe020435370697747ae48d260404abc3374f2d63dd1c3252
Message ID: <a80sge15w165w@bwalk.dm.com>
Reply To: <199711241431.IAA12181@einstein.ssz.com>
UTC Datetime: 1997-11-27 06:07:29 UTC
Raw Date: Thu, 27 Nov 1997 14:07:29 +0800

Raw message

From: dlv@bwalk.dm.com (Dr.Dimitri Vulis KOTM)
Date: Thu, 27 Nov 1997 14:07:29 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Further costs of war (fwd)

This has no crypto relevance.

Jim Choate <ravage@ssz.com> further writes:
<a bunch of historical facts>
> So the time line is something like this:
>
> 15 months prior to Pearl Harbor the US places an embargo on Japan presumably
> because of their aggressive policies.
>
> 13 months prior to the attack on Pearl Harbor the Japanese sign the
> Tri-partite Act.
>
> 12 months prior to the attack on Pearl Harbor the Emporer gets cold feet
> and orders a review of the plan.

The japs didn't join the axis out fo the blue. The US was picking on the Japs
back at the Washington conference in 1921/2, and succeffully turned the
British against the japs (they used to be allies). Ever since FDR got elected,
he bulding up the navy, building new bases on Hawaii, Guam, Midway, Samoa,
etc, (in violation of the Washington conference), grabbing small pacific
islands that no one claimed before (jervis, Howland, Phoebe, Palmira). On June
26, 1939 the US denounced the US-jap trade treaty (in response to the
Chamberlain-Arita agreement of June 24 to curtail british aid to Chiang). In
September 1940 FDR introduced the draft (that was priot to the Japs signing
the axis treaty on Sept 27). After 9/29, the US cut off iron shipments to
japan, oredered US citizens to leave Japan and its possessions, drafted 27K
reservists into the navy, and gave chiang a 25MM loan. On Nov 30 the US again
said that Chiang is the only lawful government of China and gave him another
100MM. The japs heavily negotiated for 7 months; then on July 25, 1941, FDR
froze jap assets in the US. Nevertheless in November the japs asked to resume
negotiations, and asked primarily to lift the oil embargo. On 11/26 the US
rejected this request, and called on japan to recognize chiang as the ruler of
china. On 12/6 FDR sent an threatning personal message to Hirohito telling him
to back down. On 12/7 the japs attacked Pearl Harbor and simulteneously
rejected the 11/26 demands (viewing them as an effective declaration of war by
the US). My intrepretation is that the japs certainly tried to bend over
backwards to delay a war with the US until they were in a better position, and
FDR certainly did all hsi could to hasten the war.

> Note, I would appreciate any references to the regulation of Japanese
> nationals transiting through or applying for residence in the US during this
> period. Can't say that I've ever seen this issue in anything I've read.

According to my books, the US stopped all Jap immigration into US and its
possession (i.e. Hawaii, Philippines, ec) as of May 1, 1925.

---

Dr.Dimitri Vulis KOTM