1997-11-13 - Re: “Son of CDA” Ignores Supreme Court Ruling, ACLU Says

Header Data

From: Koro <ksahin@best.com>
To: Declan McCullagh <declan@well.com>
Message Hash: ad808531a0c8f41d5642800f074e7c3f772ff19b7df60fc689949e14a592e796
Message ID: <346B6815.2F08@best.com>
Reply To: <Pine.GSO.3.95.971113121510.9215A-100000@well.com>
UTC Datetime: 1997-11-13 21:19:20 UTC
Raw Date: Fri, 14 Nov 1997 05:19:20 +0800

Raw message

From: Koro <ksahin@best.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 1997 05:19:20 +0800
To: Declan McCullagh <declan@well.com>
Subject: Re: "Son of CDA" Ignores Supreme Court Ruling, ACLU Says

Declan McCullagh wrote:

> Any business merely displaying material without first requiring a credit card
> or other proof of age could be found liable under the statute, which
> criminalizes commercial distribution of words or images that could be deemed
> "harmful to minors," even if no actual sale is involved, Beeson said.

A credit card passes for proof of age?  I had a credit card as soon as I
was old enough to drive (it made my father's job of family accounting
easier when all of the gas payments showed up on the credit card bill)
at age 16.

A larger problem I see with credit cards being used as a form of ID is
that it may become comon practice to ask for name and credit card number
at the enterance to every contravercial site.  If so, people will begin
to abuse the system, as it is a very simple matter to start logging all
names, credit card numbers, and expiration dates of people who enter
your site, and then make charges to their credit cards.
--
					KORO

Thread