1997-11-02 - re: Speech as co-conspiring? I don’t think so.

Header Data

From: nobody@neva.org (Neva Remailer)
To: cypherpunks@cyberpass.net
Message Hash: b71936a3ff8ae094b768901a4f3ad3ec0043875fbeb3571b1379c8ff6325b600
Message ID: <199711022133.PAA21644@multi26.netcomi.com>
Raw Date: Mon, 3 Nov 1997 05:38:55 +0800

Raw message

From: nobody@neva.org (Neva Remailer)
Date: Mon, 3 Nov 1997 05:38:55 +0800
To: cypherpunks@cyberpass.net
Subject: re: Speech as co-conspiring? I don't think so.

Tim May wrote:
>According to the dubious logic of that episode, no doubt they would
>say they were innocent because they had not _met_ me on any
>occasions. If, however, the prosecution could produce a witness
>saying she had seen me in the company of the writer, director,
>producer, etc., then their bacon would be cooked. By the logic of
>their episode, of course.

That's what their smart alecky lawyer will claim, anyway.  I am
confident that a jury made up of good red blooded Americans will see
through this sham.

The producers of the show certainly know that there are terrorist
elements and psychopaths who would be watching.  They know that these
people will be turned on by the imagery of a BATF agent being brutally
murdered.  They could have told the same story using different
imagery.  Instead of using graphic violence, they could have expressed
the idea of the BATF agent getting killed with a heartrending scene of
his wife getting the phone call.  That certainly would not have been
inflammatory.

But they didn't.  The opted to go with a glorification of the act.
Why?  Incompetence won't wash - anybody getting to national TV has
spent years in the business and is a total pro.  They know what effect
they are having.

They glorified this act of violence to encourage others to do the
same.  Where is the FBI?  Why isn't anybody doing anything?  If the
life of only one BATF agent is spared, it will be worthwhile!  Think
of his poor wife and kids.

>>(*) Tim seems too wiley to be crazy.  Instead, he seems to be playing
>>The Most Dangerous Game: Fed baiting.
>>

>It used to be called "free speech."
>
>Nowadays, admitting that one has guns is fed baiting. Admitting that
>one will defend one's self is fed baiting. Admtting that one has read
>certain books is fed baiting. And using unbreakable crypto is fed
>baiting.
>
>Ah, what has the world come to?

Remailers?  ;-)

Monty Cantsin