1997-11-19 - Re: Flight 007 and our Civil Liberties

Header Data

From: Steve Schear <schear@lvdi.net>
To: Tim May <cypherpunks@cyberpass.net
Message Hash: ba9f03378d3052513141a551b2c03cf9b0a84cd53f885c03916afcd942bc60e1
Message ID: <v03102800b0980428d66c@[208.129.55.202]>
Reply To: <v03102802b09795d84b18@[207.167.93.63]>
UTC Datetime: 1997-11-19 03:27:45 UTC
Raw Date: Wed, 19 Nov 1997 11:27:45 +0800

Raw message

From: Steve Schear <schear@lvdi.net>
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 1997 11:27:45 +0800
To: Tim May <cypherpunks@cyberpass.net
Subject: Re: Flight 007 and our Civil Liberties

>The FBI has just completed a long press conference in which it reported its
>"no terrorist activity suspected" conclusions. Having watched most of it,
>and having seen the CIA animation shown at the press conference, I agree
>with their conclusions.
>
>(Cypherpunks arch-enemy James Kallstrom, Assistant Director of the FBI,
>nevertheless did a fine job,  both in the investigation and in the
>reporting. Credit where credit is due.)
>
>However, now that the Flight 007 explosion has been ruled a non-terrorist
>event, will we get our freedoms back?
>
>The other big "terrorist event" of that summer of 1996 was the bomb in a
>crowd at the Summer Olympic Games in Atlanta. The "fits the profile" perp,
>Richard Jewell, was finally cleared of all charges.
>
>So, these were the two big events which stimulated the FAA, under higher
>orders, to require mandatory ID of all travelling passengers. And more
>multimillion dollar sniffers to be installed in airports.
>
>It seems that each such event ratchets down certain civil liberties, and
>even the later repudiation of terrorists and other Horsemen in these events
>never results in the liberties coming back....

Actually, even when their knee-jerk security measures are relaxed it isn't publicized, probably for concern it might encourage would be mules and terrorists to take advantage of 'relaxed' security measures.  Case in point profiling and John Gilmore's run-in with airport security last year.  As I recall, John purchased his ticket with cash within 24-hour of departure and had only carry-on items.  He was subjected to what he felt were requests for an unnecessary search of his carry-on and person.

At the beginning of November and unannounced to the public, and seemingly unknown to most airline employees, such searches are now unnecessary under FAA regulation (don't have the particular citing).  Although notice of this change should have been posted in most airline employee break areas, few if any airlines offer regular rule update training to their ground personnel.  As a result many airline service agents continue the practice since its better to be safe... If a passenger objects and asks for a supervisor and assuming the sup is up to date on the regulations, they should not now be required to undergo this ordeal.

--Steve

Thread