1997-11-17 - Seeing Both Sides

Header Data

From: Secret Squirrel <nobody@secret.squirrel.owl.de>
To: cypherpunks@cyberpass.net
Message Hash: bb5e4b6fd25c3e5166d69a6d4d0539248cc9952b2b28a453766b26452f067f41
Message ID: <a0c766cd7eac94b862b5202e12d07b45@squirrel>
Raw Date: Mon, 17 Nov 1997 19:45:40 +0800

Raw message

From: Secret Squirrel <nobody@secret.squirrel.owl.de>
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 1997 19:45:40 +0800
To: cypherpunks@cyberpass.net
Subject: Seeing Both Sides

Bob Hettinga wrote:
>But then, logic, much less independent thinking, was never
>Foucault's strong point.

I took this statement at face value, but out of curiousity I decided to find
out who this guy Foucault was.  The things I read about him lead me to
believe otherwise.

Some quotes from Michel Foucault:

 "The judges of normality are present everywhere.  We are in
  the society of the teacher-judge, the doctor-judge, the
  educator-judge, the 'social worker'-judge."

 "Prison continues, on those who are entrusted to it, a work
  begun elsewhere, which the whole of society pursues on each
  individual through innumerable mechanisms of discipline."

How quick we are to condemn those who step out of the "norm", no?  As soon
as someone says something even slightly controversial, our inner censors
rush in to separate ourselves from that person, to chastise him, to condemn
him, regardless of the relationship we have developed with him in the past.

There is this unfortunate property in man that leads him to disassociate
himself from the ideas he holds true if it is convenient, and especially if
it will allow him to avoid the ridicule, hatred and disdain of others.  In
the never ending "pursuit of happiness" we seek to make our lives so
comfortable that we will give up that which we hold dearest.

 "The work of an intellectual is not to mould the political
  will of others; it is, through the analyses that he does in
  his own field, to re-examine evidence and assumptions, to
  shake up habitual ways of working and thinking, to dissipate
  conventional familiarities, to re-evaluate rules and
  institutions and...to participate in the formation of a
  political will (where he has his role as citizen to play)."

In other words, to make people think.  This is the goal of the intellectual.
To subtly influence the mass of humanity by appealing to their minds, their
reason, instead of their base instincts and emotions.  Tolerance and
acceptance are results brought about in us by communion with the mind, that
which is greatest in us.  Hatred, persecution, violence are what we fall
back upon when we cease to live to our fullest potential.  We degenerate
into the animals we once were.

Once again, Bob wrote:
>The world's foremost pseudomystical relativist cited to support an
>absolutist position. The logic escapes me. But then, logic, much less
>independent thinking, was never Foucault's strong point.

Perhaps one way of looking at it is that if you can't see the black and
the white, you're missing the whole picture.

After all, who would think that one would need to use an anonymous remailer
and a pseudonym to express oneself in a free and open society such as ours?

Nerthus

Thread