1997-11-19 - Re: e$: Snakes of Medusa on Wall Street? (fwd)

Header Data

From: Robert Hettinga <rah@shipwright.com>
To: cypherpunks@cyberpass.net
Message Hash: bd9d1ce43861004627c3a435f1e3518119f03dea65775fb05db771a63c55ebcf
Message ID: <v04002736b098f79b3403@[139.167.130.248]>
Raw Date: Thu, 20 Nov 1997 05:24:21 +0800

Raw message

From: Robert Hettinga <rah@shipwright.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 1997 05:24:21 +0800
To: cypherpunks@cyberpass.net
Subject: Re: e$: Snakes of Medusa on Wall Street? (fwd)

--- begin forwarded text

Date: Wed, 19 Nov 1997 14:00:08 -0500 (EST)
To: e$@thumper.vmeng.com, :
From: Donald Weightman <dweightman@Radix.Net>

For Heaven's sake, guys, there were _two_ religious revivals by the name of
the 'Great Awakening'. One in England, early 18thC., most prominent
product: John Wesley & Methodism. The other in this country, at its height
in the 1840's,  with the Church of the Later Day saints as _its_ most
prominent product.

Don Weightman

At 08:13 AM 11/19/97 -0500, you wrote:

> [...]
Awakening",
> > which gave us most of our American-flavored religions, happened in the
> > early part of the 19th century, though rumblings started shortly after the
> > revolution.
>
> I did a little web-search (still being at work and deprived of my library)
> but what I can find clearly indicates the 'Great Awakening' was fininished
> by the mid to late 1750's. Most of the sources that I found from Alta Vista
> give the beginning of the Great Awakening as the late 1600's to early
> 1700's.
>
> While I clearly put the beginning of the movement too early (I always get
> this confused with the beacon on the hill jive) all the evidence that I
> can gather shows that it did *not* extend into any part of the 1800's.
> As I understood the movement it didn't survive the American War of
> Indipendance.
>
> I used Alta Vista and search terms of 'great' & 'awakening'.
>

>     ____________________________________________________________________
>    |                                                                    |
>    |    The financial policy of the welfare state requires that there   |
>    |    be no way for the owners of wealth to protect themselves.       |
>    |                                                                    |
>    |                                       -Alan Greenspan-             |
>    |                                                                    |
>    |            _____                             The Armadillo Group   |
>    |         ,::////;::-.                           Austin, Tx. USA     |
>    |        /:'///// ``::>/|/                     http://www.ssz.com/   |
>    |      .',  ||||    `/( e\                                           |
>    |  -====~~mm-'`-```-mm --'-                         Jim Choate       |
>    |                                                 ravage@ssz.com     |
>    |                                                  512-451-7087      |
>    |____________________________________________________________________|

>Where people, networks and money come together:        Consult Hyperion
>http://www.hyperion.co.uk/                          info@hyperion.co.uk
>Full-Strength Cryptographic Solutions for Worldwide Electronic Commerce
>http://www.c2.net/                                    stronghold@c2.net
>Like e$? Help pay for it!
>For e$/e$pam contributions or sponsorship:  <mailto:rah@shipwright.com>

--- end forwarded text

Robert Hettinga (rah@shipwright.com), Philodox
e$, 44 Farquhar Street, Boston, MA 02131 USA
The e$ Home Page: http://www.shipwright.com/
Ask me about FC98 in Anguilla!: <http://www.fc98.ai/>

Thread