1997-11-10 - Gun Control brings on a New Arms Race

Header Data

From: Tim May <tcmay@got.net>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: c50c8db2ec7f6b12dbfbbab0686268bbc160981a8fac93827da73569af02e345
Message ID: <v03102803b08c532f2fec@[207.167.93.63]>
Reply To: <199711090544.GAA04712@basement.replay.com>
UTC Datetime: 1997-11-10 21:22:04 UTC
Raw Date: Tue, 11 Nov 1997 05:22:04 +0800

Raw message

From: Tim May <tcmay@got.net>
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 1997 05:22:04 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Gun Control brings on a New Arms Race

At 10:44 PM -0700 11/8/97, Anonymous wrote:

>  After the government has finished arming park rangers, as well as all
>federal daycare workers and filing clerks, I suppose they will begin
>giving
>surplus military weapons to USENET censors, and the like, and deputizing
>them so that they can legally enforce their own narrow views.

The arms race is on. The Feds are arming themselves, and the citizen-units
are doing likewise.

At the San Francisco Gun Show this past weekend, I watched with great
amusement as the San Mateo County Sheriff's Office deputies and Brisbane
Police stared in apparent horror as citizen-units loaded up on
high-capacity mags, armor-piercing ammo, Class III body armor, and on and
on. The cops are stationed at the door, ostensibly to spot gross violations
of the law, such as carry of loaded weapons. The cops asked me if I was
carrying guns into the show to sell...I just shrugged. Without a warrant,
they were helpless to do more than just ask. It was a gas.

(A friend of a friend scored a "cold" Glock 17L...$400 in "NQA" condition,
immediate delivery.)

Billy Boy Gates was a hit of the show. Because of his support of Washington
State "676" bill, t-shirts with his face in the crosshairs.

(Me, I think he' just a misguided billionaire with the usual Kennedyesque
guilt feelings that cause him to want to "do something." I wish him no
particular harm. But some of the guys I talked to said he ought to be taken
out with a .308 "unmaskable interrupt." This as they were looking over a
heavy barrel Remington Sendero in 300 Winchester Magnum. Just the thing for
reaching out and touching someone. A bit extreme, but the gun shows bring
out the honesty in people.)

All I bought were some lasers, some .223 vest-piercers, and a few special
parts for my Colt HBAR. Oh, and I took delivery on a so-called "assault
pistol"--30 rounds of .223 rifle ammunition in a package that fits under an
overcoat. I'll be ready for the November Raids.

Like I said, the cops appeared chagrinned. I think they realize the
anti-gun efforts have backfired, causing citizen-units to arms themselves
as never before. As fast as the Congressvermin can pass laws, loopholes
appear.

I used to go to gun shows a lot, back in the 70s and 80s, and I can tell
you that the efforts by Klinton and Swinestein and the American Jewish
Congress and all the other vermin are only having the effect of causing our
kind of people to arm themselves to the teeth. There are probably more
30-round assault rifle mags available now that at the height of the Viet
Nam war.

30-round Glock mags, 15-round HK USP mags, and literally thousands of
high-capacity AR-15, AK-47, and SKS mags were readily available.

A friend of mine scored at least 15 Glock mags, a dozen AR-15 mags, and a
set of four AK-47 mags. (Even I have to admit he's gone overboard...how can
he ever use the dozen or so assault rifles and submachine guns he owns?
Many of them "cold.")

Why can't the gun grabbers realize that Americans will not give up their
guns, and that every wave of efforts to try to grab them just stimulates
the market even more?

Interesting times. The rumored November raids could be very interesting.

--Tim May