1997-11-14 - Re: This judge needs killing

Header Data

From: Tim May <tcmay@got.net>
To: Paul Bradley <cypherpunks@Algebra.COM
Message Hash: c5530b627a0acb60e757d7b7c31de8f425efed825864246ee3eba815609b7843
Message ID: <v0310280bb092291ceb73@[207.167.93.63]>
Reply To: <Pine.LNX.3.91.971113183601.846A-100000@fatmans.demon.co.uk>
UTC Datetime: 1997-11-14 18:27:40 UTC
Raw Date: Sat, 15 Nov 1997 02:27:40 +0800

Raw message

From: Tim May <tcmay@got.net>
Date: Sat, 15 Nov 1997 02:27:40 +0800
To: Paul Bradley <cypherpunks@Algebra.COM
Subject: Re: This judge needs killing

At 11:39 AM -0700 11/13/97, Paul Bradley wrote:
>Uk News:
>
>Judge David Selwood today sentenced 3 writers for the magazine "Green
>Anarchist" to 3 years imprisonment each for their articles in the
>magazine which he concluded incited others to break the law.
>The magazine contained diaries for the previous months animal rights
>activism events and contained articles generally favourable to the cause
>of animal liberation.
>
>Another judge who has richly earned the death penalty.

This stifling of free speech, by both state and corporate interests, is a
trend spreadingl like wildfire in the Western world.

Libel, slander, defamation, damage, incitement, sedition, and obscenity
cases are squelching free speech. Publishers are held liable for the words
of others, and even distributors are held liable.

Even here on Cypherpunks we see toadies like Bob Hettinga fretting that our
words are going too far, that we must learn to police ourselves or the
police will be forced to do so.

(Hey, if the Paladin case withstands Supreme Court scrutiny and his upheld,
look for the Cypherpunks list node distributors to face criminal charges.)

--Tim May