1997-11-25 - Re: Copyrights and Wrongs, from The Netly News

Header Data

From: Jon Galt <jongalt@pinn.net>
To: Mikhael Frieden <mikhaelf@mindspring.com>
Message Hash: cec9686a9a6459485261df1ed9fd2bdbd863e97afc5881770e50e0ce27d9a734
Message ID: <Pine.SUN.3.91.971124220936.27317E-100000@everest.pinn.net>
Reply To: <3.0.16.19971124001823.10b73e70@pop.mindspring.com>
UTC Datetime: 1997-11-25 03:38:06 UTC
Raw Date: Tue, 25 Nov 1997 11:38:06 +0800

Raw message

From: Jon Galt <jongalt@pinn.net>
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 1997 11:38:06 +0800
To: Mikhael Frieden <mikhaelf@mindspring.com>
Subject: Re: Copyrights and Wrongs, from The Netly News

On Mon, 24 Nov 1997, Mikhael Frieden wrote:

>         Perhaps but there is something particularly obnoxious to the rule
> of law when scum like McVay being able to say to the effect, 'I know I am
> stealing from you. Sue me.'
>
>         It is most clearly a mockery of the law to find his pack of
> drooling toadies such as McC using the theft as a juvenile taunt, that some
> may set themselves above the law solely upon the grounds of the cost of
> civil action.
>
>         That is something simply not done in civilized society.

I'll mention something else that is simply not done in civilized
society:  forcefully preventing someone from peacefully using information
that they have, simply because someone else supposedly "owns" that
information.

I'm not making any comment about the people that were referred to above.
I'm making a comment about copyright laws.

You cannot *own* an idea.

Jon Galt
e-mail:  jongalt@pinn.net
website:  http://www.pinn.net/~jongalt/
PGP public key available on my website.
Democracy is two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for dinner.