1997-11-08 - No Subject

Header Data

From: Anonymous <anon@anon.efga.org>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: d0955dc7fb365e367b3cb3b2feef2bbea0b0d6c6775a5f87211de707d922183f
Message ID: <32adfcca3eebc8a81ff728910558907f@anon.efga.org>
Raw Date: Sat, 8 Nov 1997 12:15:02 +0800

Raw message

From: Anonymous <anon@anon.efga.org>
Date: Sat, 8 Nov 1997 12:15:02 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: No Subject

TruthMunger wrote:
>         Does Ernst Zundel have the right to deny the Holocaust and brag
>    about it on the Net? In the U.S. the answer is unequivocally yes. But
>    in Canada, where Zundel resides, the Human Rights Commission has been
>    holding hearings on whether the "Zundelsite" violates the country's
>    hate speech laws.

  Thus, the Canadian Human Rights Commission's primary goal seems to
be to limit Canadian's access to infomation to only that which is in
alignment with the goals of those holding the reins of power.

TruthMunger
-----------

The World Wide Web and its liberating impact is being confronted with some
realities from Big Brother.  I don't know the technicalities of how these things
are done.  Would someone enlighten me (us) on how government can shut out internet
traffice from or to undesireables?

Browsing back through some article by S. Garfinkel recently led me to

Electronic Border-Control, 14 July, 1997, Wired's Synapse

http://www.hotwired.com/synapse/feature/97/28/garfinkel0a_text.html

Some of Garfinkel's ideas about quite conventional about keeping the
bad guys out and using government as the means of putting up a
cyber barbed-wire-fence. I don't agree with his opinion about this, but it
clued me in on the possiblities regarding what might be done under the
conditions of a controlled & regulated environment.

It would seem that as band-width increases dramatically, cheaper
access and greater familiarity with the net occurs that government
(taxes, regulations, der polizei, etc.) will come with it. The prospects
of having the internet smothered under regulations is a disappointing idea.

What are the possiblities for censoring/blocking communications on a technical basis?

Sparticus

Thread