1997-11-11 - Re: Matters of Law

Header Data

From: nobody@REPLAY.COM (Anonymous)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: d32710dc9c8534bff7139f32a98f7fc9a70a874bcd570dc0821834d87057f8ac
Message ID: <199711111952.UAA07672@basement.replay.com>
Raw Date: Wed, 12 Nov 1997 04:13:53 +0800

Raw message

From: nobody@REPLAY.COM (Anonymous)
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 1997 04:13:53 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Matters of Law

>It is often claimed (here, too) that "anyone may sue." This is true. Just
>pay a filing fee, etc., and anyone can sue. Alice can sue Bob because he is
>reading "War and Peace." I can sue Suzie because I didn't like the color of
>the dress she wore. And so on, so the theory goes.

YMMV, depending on locality. Some places require a lawyer to certify that the
lawsuit has (in hir opinion) at least a reasonable chance of succeeding. That
may not apply in small claims court, tho.

>(And the courts have even taken steps against those who have filed many
>frivolous lawsuits with the apparent intent of harassment. )

They can go after the aforementioned lawyers for this, too. One of Scientology's lawyers, Helena ("The Kobra") Kobrin, has been sanctioned for filing frivolous lawsuits on behalf of that cult.

Thread