1997-11-20 - Re: ITAR

Header Data

From: stewarts@ix.netcom.com
To: “Brian W. Buchanan” <cypherpunks@Algebra.COM
Message Hash: dc822a63ab3cb29e84275c03c2444c18cb03a2893524372acd71e12b7a8c8611
Message ID: <3.0.3.32.19971119184501.006e729c@popd.ix.netcom.com>
Reply To: <19971119010002.15815.qmail@nym.alias.net>
UTC Datetime: 1997-11-20 03:28:20 UTC
Raw Date: Thu, 20 Nov 1997 11:28:20 +0800

Raw message

From: stewarts@ix.netcom.com
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 1997 11:28:20 +0800
To: "Brian W. Buchanan" <cypherpunks@Algebra.COM
Subject: Re: ITAR

First of all, you're the first person I've seen with a Niue address -
congratulations!  (South Pacific Island suburb of Lompoc :-)

At 05:27 PM 11/18/1997 -0800, Brian W. Buchanan <brian@smarter.than.nu> wrote:
>I've always been told that software with function hooks for crypto was
>just as unexportable as crypto itself.

The legal status of crypto-equipment-without-the-crypto-plugin is
fuzzier under the current regime than the previous one, but it was
basically illegal to export components of a cryptosystem.

> doesn't make sense
You answered that correctly later:
>Of course, this is the goobermint we're dealing with...

So don't export that crypto-cellphone - export a phone with
voice amplifier software implemented as a plugin,
or a digital background noise reducer,
or programmable muzak-on-hold replacement, or
or even enhanced authentication protocols.
They're not crypto devices, they're perfectly normal commercial products,
and you're shocked, _shocked_ at the free scratchy-white-noise background
music plugin that somebody with entirely no musical taste is shipping,
or that some Bulgarian hackers are abusing your phone to provide service
to Colombian narcoterroristas in blatant violation of their warranty.
				Thanks!
					Bill
Bill Stewart, stewarts@ix.netcom.com
Regular Key PGP Fingerprint D454 E202 CBC8 40BF  3C85 B884 0ABE 4639

Thread