1997-11-17 - Re: PGPsdk is now free for non-commercial use

Header Data

From: Alan Olsen <alan@clueserver.org>
To: phelix@vallnet.com
Message Hash: de4029e67979f495df3b3e9475e48d0f095123ab9a3c0766a3908a6a7880621c
Message ID: <199711170552.VAA14642@www.ctrl-alt-del.com>
Reply To: <3.0.3.32.19971116182556.0072fe08@popd.ix.netcom.com>
UTC Datetime: 1997-11-17 05:48:37 UTC
Raw Date: Mon, 17 Nov 1997 13:48:37 +0800

Raw message

From: Alan Olsen <alan@clueserver.org>
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 1997 13:48:37 +0800
To: phelix@vallnet.com
Subject: Re: PGPsdk is now free for non-commercial use

At 05:11 AM 11/17/97 +0000, phelix@vallnet.com wrote:

>On 16 Nov 1997 22:18:39 -0600, Alan Olsen <alan@clueserver.org> wrote:
>
>>>From what I have read of the license it is against the license agreement to
>>ship the libraries on a CD of shareware products for which a price is
charged.

>>If I were to create a program using the libraries and upload them to Simtel
>>or one of the other big archives, it could not be distributed on a Simtel
>>CD-ROM that someone was charging money for.  (Ignoring the usual export
>>issues.)
>>
>>I see this as a big problem.
>
>This, unfortunately, is a non-issue.  I just reread the license agreement
>and noticed the following:
>
>Non-Commercial Distribution License.
>
> Subject to all the terms and conditions of this Agreement, PGP hereby
>grants to you or your organization a limited, nonexclusive, nontransferable
>license (a) to incorporate [... stuff deleted ...]
>and (b) to reproduce and distribute the Bundled Freeware Application to end
>users solely by electronic means (for example, posting on networks or
>Internet sites for others to download),
>
>So, the only way to really (legally) distribute this would be on your own
>web site, or a web site that will never be picked up on a cdrom
>distribution.
>
>The as of yet unreleased shareware licensing agreements will probably cover
>cdrom distribution.

Freeware and shareware often share the same distribution channel.  It kind
of puts a crimp in distribution if you cannot upload to any archive that
might wind up on a cd-rom.  (Furthermore, uploads to those archives are not
always under the control of the author.)

Hopefully they will go back and update the freeware license agreement as well.
---
|              "That'll make it hot for them!" - Guy Grand               |
|"The moral PGP Diffie taught Zimmermann unites all| Disclaimer:         |
| mankind free in one-key-steganography-privacy!"  | Ignore the man      |
|`finger -l alano@teleport.com` for PGP 2.6.2 key  | behind the keyboard.|
|         http://www.ctrl-alt-del.com/~alan/       |alan@ctrl-alt-del.com|

Thread