1997-11-19 - RE: export restictions and investments

Header Data

From: Lucky Green <shamrock@cypherpunks.to>
To: Jack Oswald <joswald@rpkusa.com>
Message Hash: e4067704d73ff8a2b42bcc45734627f458bafd1ab46af05bf13b5acf8a1c18c2
Message ID: <Pine.BSF.3.96.971120030154.10759A-100000@pakastelohi.cypherpunks.to>
Reply To: <01BCF43F.82159220@joswald@rpkusa.com>
UTC Datetime: 1997-11-19 02:21:08 UTC
Raw Date: Wed, 19 Nov 1997 10:21:08 +0800

Raw message

From: Lucky Green <shamrock@cypherpunks.to>
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 1997 10:21:08 +0800
To: Jack Oswald <joswald@rpkusa.com>
Subject: RE: export restictions and investments

On Tue, 18 Nov 1997, Jack Oswald wrote:

> I am also aware of a company called VASCO that bought a crypto chip maker in Belgium which was apparently OK too.

At this point a brief overview of modexp accelerators might be  in order:

o the Belgian chips I've seen are too slow.
o the Rainbow board is OK, but non-exportable.
o the Chrysalis PCMCIA card has the same performance as the Rainbow board
at half the price.  Also non-exportable.
o  the Ncipher SCSI based accelearator screams, but it a bit pricey.
UK product. Exportable (?) http://www.ncipher.com/
o a high-end Alpha also performs rather nicely, according to some
benchmarks Eric Young once posted.

-- Lucky Green <shamrock@cypherpunks.to> PGP v5 encrypted email preferred.
   "Tonga? Where the hell is Tonga? They have Cypherpunks there?"

Thread