1997-11-26 - Re: Open Letter from ClickZ Publisher

Header Data

From: Bill Stewart <stewarts@ix.netcom.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: e5db30dcc2c5e9c9cefd0dc9ede42d8f14552a0649e436b79f61f2eb6016c15b
Message ID: <3.0.3.32.19971126005217.0068a644@popd.ix.netcom.com>
Reply To: <347b570e.6405845@nntp.ix.netcom.com>
UTC Datetime: 1997-11-26 09:09:47 UTC
Raw Date: Wed, 26 Nov 1997 17:09:47 +0800

Raw message

From: Bill Stewart <stewarts@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 1997 17:09:47 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Open Letter from ClickZ Publisher

At 03:00 AM 11/25/1997 -0000, some flamer using lcs Mixmaster Remailer wrote:
> For further info on Gary's arrest, visit:
>   http://www.e-media.com/cm/sac.html
>First off, it eventually became "a ticket actually" because it was plea
>bargained down to that.  That's one of the advantages of committing a
>"politically correct" offense in a city like Frisco.  The San Francisco
>Police Department presumably doesn't take people into custody and impound
>their vehicles for mere traffic tickets.

The SFPD _was_ arresting several hundred people that night
and impounding their bicycles for what might normally have been
traffic tickets, though many of the arrests were for "failure to disperse" --
Mayor Willie Brown had been taking enough PR heat for the Critical Mass
bicycle rides, and decided he had to "do something".
All but a few of the arrestees were out in a few hours,
with at most traffic tickets, and got their bikes back the next day
(the city DA had to keep reminding Da Mayor that he couldn't legally
just confiscate them.)

I wasn't on the same block as Burnore, so I don't know if he was being
personally obnoxious when he got busted, or was one of the many
who were just in the wrong place at the wrong time.
(Not that Critical Mass isn't somewhat confrontational :-)
				Thanks!
					Bill
Bill Stewart, stewarts@ix.netcom.com
Regular Key PGP Fingerprint D454 E202 CBC8 40BF  3C85 B884 0ABE 4639

Thread