1997-11-05 - RE: S/MIME

Header Data

From: “Ron Craswell” <ronc@deming.com>
To: “‘William H. Geiger III’” <iancly@entrust.com>
Message Hash: fa5415193f0883f508931afc0edbb64ee353bf2fd29f62b165b69d57f18ae30c
Message ID: <c=US%a=%p=Deming_Software.%l=CANE-971105003101Z-2767@cane.deming.com>
Reply To: _N/A

UTC Datetime: 1997-11-05 01:19:40 UTC
Raw Date: Wed, 5 Nov 1997 09:19:40 +0800

Raw message

From: "Ron Craswell" <ronc@deming.com>
Date: Wed, 5 Nov 1997 09:19:40 +0800
To: "'William H. Geiger III'" <iancly@entrust.com>
Subject: RE: S/MIME

On Tuesday, November 04, 1997 7:23 AM,
William H. Geiger III [SMTP:whgiii@invweb.net] wrote:

> To create an S/MIME compliant application one MUST implement RC2/40 and
> one MUST pay RSA to do so!!

Just to set things a little straight, RSA posted an internet draft
describing the RC2 algorithm (draft-rivest-rc2desc) on June 23 of this
year.  RSA has maintained trademark rights to the _name_ "RC2" but
you're free to implement the algorithm and call it "RC2 compatible" and
pay RSA nothing.

> This is the BIG difference between S/MIME and Open-PGP. In Open-PGP there
> is no MUST to implemnet weak crypto. In Open-PGP there is no MUST to
> implement propritary algoritms.

The other big difference is that you are comparing something that exists
with something that doesn't.  In order to level the playing field, let's
compare two things that don't exist -- OpenPGP and S/MIME v3.

The current intent for S/MIME v3 is that the only MUST algorithm set is
DH / El Gamal / 3DES for encryption and DH / DSS for signatures. All
free, all strong (in theory <g>).

--
Ron Craswell
Worldtalk Corp.