1997-12-03 - Re: Censorial leftists (Was: Interesting article)

Header Data

From: Tim May <tcmay@got.net>
To: David Honig <honig@otc.net>
Message Hash: 0f51e0a3021c996bb229d7daac481a8df8916509c54d66134a58c8fa19923df5
Message ID: <v03102815b0ab622f5822@[207.167.93.63]>
Reply To: <v03102813b0ab38f3a815@[207.167.93.63]>
UTC Datetime: 1997-12-03 20:49:57 UTC
Raw Date: Thu, 4 Dec 1997 04:49:57 +0800

Raw message

From: Tim May <tcmay@got.net>
Date: Thu, 4 Dec 1997 04:49:57 +0800
To: David Honig <honig@otc.net>
Subject: Re: Censorial leftists (Was: Interesting article)

At 11:47 AM -0700 12/3/97, David Honig wrote:
>At 09:44 AM 12/3/97 -0700, Tim May wrote:

>>And her partner, Andrea Dworkin, belies the oft-quoted notion that someone
>>so far to the left comes out a libertarian rightist. No, this chick Dworkin
>>is so far left she's just plain _left_. She argues that porn for womyn (or
>>is it wimmin?) is fine and dandy, because this represents lesbian
>>sisterhood exploring their own blah blah blah, but porn aimed and directed

>What you watch is pornography;
>What I watch is erotica.

Indeed, and in a wonderful case of schadenfreude, when the
Dworkin-MacKinnon anti-porn law was enacted in Canada, "Lesbitan Erotica"
bookstores and publishers were shut down. (I believe this was in Toronto,
and it may have only been in that city or region that the law was enacted,
not in all of Canada. Toto can clarify.)

Predictably, the feministas squealed like stuck pigs (or is it pigesses?).
They claimed that the law was intended to block "male uses" of certain
images, not uses by womyn and other exploited peoples.

Be careful what you wish for, double-edged swords, and all that.

When will they learn that the simple cure to such double-edge swords is not
passing  authoritarian laws in the first place?

--Tim May