1997-12-01 - Re: Digital Signatures

Header Data

From: Anonymous <anon@anon.efga.org>
To: cypherpunks@cyberpass.net
Message Hash: 0f62370015786f5d21bdbfffc2ebeb0d92dd20832c1376d3c30de32cc4031e69
Message ID: <fbbcab88ba06fee2a7cfdfe70620c8e5@anon.efga.org>
Raw Date: Mon, 1 Dec 1997 12:20:07 +0800

Raw message

From: Anonymous <anon@anon.efga.org>
Date: Mon, 1 Dec 1997 12:20:07 +0800
To: cypherpunks@cyberpass.net
Subject: Re: Digital Signatures

Monty Cantsin writes:

> You can't see it up here, but this is a signed message using a
> protocol which is modestly titled "Cantsin Protocol No. 1".
> Suggestions for improvement are most welcome.

A very interesting idea!  Please consider the following suggestions if
you like, or feel free to ignore them.

One problem with signatures which have no indication at the top is that
two passes over the data are necessary: the first to scan and find the
start-of-signature indicator, and another to go back and calculate the
hash.  Signatures such as S/MIME and PGP have enough information at the
top of the signed message to allow one pass processing.

> The first line is "16A5942B6EED349ECF4594C784DFD177 [Cantsin Protocol
> No. 1]".  The hexadecimal number was chosen randomly and is the
> indicator that this is a Cantsin Protocol No. 1 signature.  The number
> was chosen randomly and it is somewhat unlikely that anybody else will
> accidently choose it.

You might want to think about what happens if the document itself contains
(maliciously, or perhaps because it is talking about your signatures)
the string in question (as yours does and this one does as well).  This
could throw off an automated signature checker.

> The second line in the signature is an SHA1 hash of the public key.
> The hash is computed on the concatenation of the hexadecimal ASCII
> forms of p, g, and y respectively.  There should be no leading zeros.
> (Remember to leave off the newline!)

Presumably you could use the key hash to look up the key to use for
verifying the message.  This has a mild denial of service attack.  Someone
else could create a key with different boundaries between p, g, and y but
which would create the same string as this concatenation, and therefore the
same hash.  If you left the "p: ", "g: ", and "y: " in place it would
prevent this.  PGP's key fingerprints have had the same problem.

> The fourth line contains an offset and a length to specify the area of
> the text which is signed.  The offset is relative to the signature
> itself.  That is, the first character of the Cantsin Protocol No. 1
> code is at position 0.  As signatures are usually appended, the offset
> will usually be the additive inverse of the length.

It is intriguing that this can be used to sign a subset of the text.
Presumably there could be multiple signature blocks each of which signed
different subsets, possibly with different keys.  One problem is that it is
not obvious to the human reader what part of the text is signed.  A nice
effect with PGP and S/MIME signatures is that even readers who don't have
the tools can have some slight confidence in signatures, because other
readers will often report it when signatures don't verify.  With a
signature that only covers a portion of the text, people might assume that
if there are no reports of failure, more of the text is signed than is the
case.  This is not a technical problem but is a social phenomenon which may
not interact well with this signature format.

You need to specify a canonical line ending format.  Based on the count
values in your document, it appears that you are counting line terminators
as being one character long.  Your count value of 1CB9 corresponds to
decimal 7353, there are exactly 7353 characters from the first character
of your message body to the beginning of your signature magic number, if
line ends are one character.

The specific characters for line endings need to be specified as well
for the hash to be calculated consistently.  Your hash appears to be
calculated with LF as the line ending (although the hash program is
broken, see below).  Probably CR/LF would be preferable for the line
endings as that is a widely used internet standard as well as being
common on windows.

> You also need to be able to compute SHA1 hashes.  I've been using
> something called "sha1file" which, I believe, originated at Adam
> Back's web site.

That program has a bug.  The routine SHA1_update in the file sha1.c
is missing a line:

   while ( ctx->mlen == 64 )
   {
      convert_to_bigendian( (word32*)ctx->M, 64 );
      SHA1_transform( ctx );
      use = min( 64, data_len );
      memcpy( ctx->M, data, use );
      ctx->mlen = use;
      data_len -= use;
***   data += use;  ***  MISSING  ***
   }

Correcting this will make your hashes be correct.

> El Gamal is simple enough that the signature on this message can be
> checked using standard Unix tools such as dc version 1.1.  Let's say M
> is the SHA1 hash of the message.  It is checked by verifying the truth
> of this equation: (y^a * a^b) mod p = g^M mod p.

El Gamal is a rather lengthy signature, although the verification equation
is relatively simple.  DSS has a shorter signature.  If you report not
r,s, but rather r,w where w is the inverse of s mod q, then the
verification is: r = g^(M*w) * y^(r*w) mod p mod q.  It's not really
much more complicated.

There are some subtleties to choosing El Gamal keys, but with the 2048
bit values you have chosen you are pretty safe.  You want to make sure
that the generator g doesn't generate a small subgroup; to do this you
need to look at the factors of p-1.  Your p-1 has several small prime
factors: 0x2^3, 0x3, 0x6b, 0x16f, 0x1f79b, 0x3533a1eb3.  Beyond that
is a 1978 bit composite which I can't factor.  Chances are very high
that a random g will generate a group of size which is a multiple of a
large prime factor of this large composite value, so it is strong,
although not quite 2048 bits strong.

Also, you can't really justify using 2048 bit keys when your hash is
only 160 bits.  The hash becomes the weak link for keys beyond about
1024 bits, and unless you use a stronger hash your key strength is
misleading.  This is why DSS is only specified up to 1024 bits.

-- A hasher to be named later --

Thread