1997-12-22 - Re: SPECIAL REPORT: Censorware in the Stacks

Header Data

From: dlv@bwalk.dm.com (Dr.Dimitri Vulis KOTM)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 2e10f5094396b0114ca53faecde5dcff690504172d864e97d47f9e8b4e1cd404
Message ID: <PqN5He11w165w@bwalk.dm.com>
Reply To: <3.0.5.32.19971222100447.007d28c0@otc.net>
UTC Datetime: 1997-12-22 19:33:24 UTC
Raw Date: Tue, 23 Dec 1997 03:33:24 +0800

Raw message

From: dlv@bwalk.dm.com (Dr.Dimitri Vulis KOTM)
Date: Tue, 23 Dec 1997 03:33:24 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: SPECIAL REPORT: Censorware in the Stacks

David Honig <honig@otc.net> writes:
> Note that if the library in question were not arm of the State,
> noone would have any First Amendment claim.

And that in turns reminds me of microsoft giving away a free web browser...
Here's why: in 19th century NYC there very many excellent private libraries
where one could pay a monthly fee and either read inside or borrow books.
Then the gubmint (the state, the city, doesn't matter) created "free" public
libraries (i.e., paid for by the taxpayers, most of whom probably don't give
a flying fuck about libraries), and drove almost all private for-pay libaries
out of business.

Perhaps the state shouldn't be in the business of providing library services
to begin with; then there will be no 1st amendment issue, and if you don't
like the censorware used by a private library, why, use another private
library, or start your own.

(Nor would there be an issue with private libraries refusing service to
readers who smell bad.)

---

Dr.Dimitri Vulis KOTM