1997-12-03 - Re: CDT and the Threat of Gov’t Intervention

Header Data

From: Declan McCullagh <declan@well.com>
To: “Daniel J. Weitzner” <djw@cdt.org>
Message Hash: 32124f82c7abf1cc472443be3db1c34a5bfdc156c7abb67b60cae3f42cc106c6
Message ID: <Pine.GSO.3.95.971203133740.17621K-100000@well.com>
Reply To: <v03102801b0ab79341621@[207.226.3.18]>
UTC Datetime: 1997-12-03 22:09:54 UTC
Raw Date: Thu, 4 Dec 1997 06:09:54 +0800

Raw message

From: Declan McCullagh <declan@well.com>
Date: Thu, 4 Dec 1997 06:09:54 +0800
To: "Daniel J. Weitzner" <djw@cdt.org>
Subject: Re: CDT and the Threat of Gov't Intervention

Danny, I may respond in more detail to your post shortly (I'm supposed to
be working on an article right now), but I wanted to ask you:

Does CDT consider itself to be a "civil liberties" group?

If so, how do you reconcile that stance with CDT director Jerry Berman's
statements this week and elsewhere that we need to "balance free speech"
and "balance civil liberties" with other concerns?

If so, how do you reconcile this with your anti-civil liberties
"compromises" on issues like wiretapping, the "harmful to minors" version
of the CDA you supported, and the "crypto in a crime" jail penalties you
continue to support?

CDT seems to take positions that are often much closer to business
lobbyists than civil liberties groups. Now, I don't mind business
lobbyists -- I'm friends with many of them and I talk with them every day
-- but I want to be clear on your position.

-Declan

Thread