1997-12-01 - Re: Big Brother Is Watching ATMs

Header Data

From: Vin McLellan <vin@shore.net>
To: Jonathan Wienke <JonWienk@ix.netcom.com>
Message Hash: 3a1a85b496b7fc33112979b1c7d454f601ce0418db8eebdfb233724307468ee8
Message ID: <v03007801b0a877592509@[198.115.179.81]>
Reply To: <3.0.3.32.19971130213445.006ad57c@popd.netcruiser>
UTC Datetime: 1997-12-01 16:28:02 UTC
Raw Date: Tue, 2 Dec 1997 00:28:02 +0800

Raw message

From: Vin McLellan <vin@shore.net>
Date: Tue, 2 Dec 1997 00:28:02 +0800
To: Jonathan Wienke <JonWienk@ix.netcom.com>
Subject: Re: Big Brother Is Watching ATMs

G'day Jonathan,

	Could you please identify this "bank card company" by name, card,
nation, etc. ?

	Without some explicit cite of a commercial entity -- or a reference
to some "strip-'em-naked-with-electrons" Police R&D group like the guys at
Rome AFB -- this report sounds like another of those ID-Implant fantasies
circulated by the guys who are bolting steel plate to their screen doors
and programming their backyard AA to auto-target (a) Black Helicopters (b)
which are on low-level rapid approach (c) full Oriental, Arab, and Hispanic
troopers (c) wearing Blue Helmets.

	Got a single verifiable fact you could share?

	Or, with further checking, could you confirm that is this just
another spicy rumor crafted to keep the boyos in the hills rubbing garlic
into their hollow-points with proper militia enthusiasm?  (Not that I don't
enjoy a good tale to wake up sleepy Computer Science undergrads, mind
you...)

	Up the Revolution,

		              _Vin

>I just heard that a bank card company has just released a program for using
>photos of the iris in people's eyes as a biometric ID to replace people's
>PIN codes for ATM / credit cards.  What I found really interesting is how
>they plan to implement it.  As people use the ATM, they are photographed.
>(Every ATM has a security camera.)  Over time, as people use the ATM, the
>security camera images are composited to produce a high-quality image of
>their irises, which is coded and placed in their account information.

      Vin McLellan + The Privacy Guild + <vin@shore.net>
  53 Nichols St., Chelsea, MA 02150 USA <617> 884-5548

Thread