1997-12-16 - Re: The Joys of Being Canadian

Header Data

From: “Lynne L. Harrison” <lharrison@dueprocess.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 5c21d226515f24a224f0d902f8c295a80cbd2ba950a5a01ac1dd0d00f59c3a56
Message ID: <3.0.3.32.19971215225418.0069f33c@pop.mhv.net>
Reply To: <3.0.2.32.19971215163613.035c9b78@panix.com>
UTC Datetime: 1997-12-16 04:08:03 UTC
Raw Date: Tue, 16 Dec 1997 12:08:03 +0800

Raw message

From: "Lynne L. Harrison" <lharrison@dueprocess.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 1997 12:08:03 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: The Joys of Being Canadian

At 05:15 PM 12/15/97 -0600, Matt Elliott wrote:

>For my cable company I asked why they wanted it.  For a security check when
>you call in was the response.  Does it need to be an actuall social
>security number?  No, just something you can remember when you call up.
>
>012-01-0123 I replied.  They were quite happy to use that as my "Social
>Security Number" in their database.    As far as cable goes they don't want
>your social security number.  I wonder how many others would be happy to
>substitute something.

When my cable company asked for my SSN, I told them that I was not going to
disclose it.  Of course, the refusal sent the lame-brain into a brain-dead
state. I finally volunteered that they could use my middle name for
verification purposes.  I could actually hear the "Thank you for solving
this problem!" in the employee's voice....

Lynne L. Harrison, Esq.          |    Patience is a virtue;
Poughkeepsie, New York           |    Possess it if you can;
mailto:lharrison@dueprocess.com  |    Seldom in a woman;
http://www.dueprocess.com        |    Never in a man.

DISCLAIMER:  I am not your attorney; you are not my client.
             Accordingly, the above is *NOT* legal advice.

Thread