1997-12-23 - Re: Freedom Forum report on the State of the First Amendment

Header Data

From: David Honig <honig@otc.net>
To: Colin Rafferty <fight-censorship@vorlon.mit.edu
Message Hash: 673491fb43c796b4c6d899242c421546ee3b9cabe3d74719725273acfddc2e80
Message ID: <3.0.5.32.19971223134123.007e07f0@otc.net>
Reply To: <David Honig’s message of “Tue, 23 Dec 1997 11:10:38 -0800”>
UTC Datetime: 1997-12-23 22:00:30 UTC
Raw Date: Wed, 24 Dec 1997 06:00:30 +0800

Raw message

From: David Honig <honig@otc.net>
Date: Wed, 24 Dec 1997 06:00:30 +0800
To: Colin Rafferty <fight-censorship@vorlon.mit.edu
Subject: Re: Freedom Forum report on the State of the First Amendment

At 02:37 PM 12/23/97 -0500, Colin Rafferty wrote:

>You are not being coerced into anything.  If you don't want to serve
>food to Blacks, don't open a restaurant.  It's your choice.

Where do you get the right to tell others how they can make a living?

>By the way, you are also not allowed to dump toxic waste in your own
>backyard.  Are you being oppressed?

I am not allowed to place toxic waste, or noise, where it can affect
others; I can
ingest toxins privately and listen to whatever music I like so long as you
don't detect it in your backyard.

>> An employer-employee relationship is like a marriage or any other
arrangement
>> between adults -mutually consensual.
>
>In a fantasy world, it is mutually consensual.  It the real world, it is
>seldom mutual.

You prefer a shotgun or otherwise arranged marriage?

>>> Colin, do you consider
>> yourself oppressed when someone choses not to date you?  What about
>> a rejection by someone who takes out a public advertisement in the paper?
>
>Nope.  Of course, this has nothing to do with anything.

Private behavior is private behavior, and trade is a private behavior.

>> Freedom is only tested when it hurts.
>
>With freedom comes responsibility.  Decency is one of them.
>
>--
>Colin

But obligate decency at gunpoint is not worth it.

      David Honig                   Orbit Technology
     honig@otc.net                  Intaanetto Jigyoubu

"Windows 95 is a technologically complex product that is best left alone by
the government..."
 ---MSFT Atty B. Smith

Thread