1997-12-13 - Re: Another of Gary Burnore’s Lies Exposed

Header Data

From: nobody@REPLAY.COM (Anonymous)
To: m2n@alpha.jpunix.com
Message Hash: 6b2827eecf02c6ebffc79c5d915c9419da498bdac0c466c83aee68d511d0d30a
Message ID: <199712131402.PAA10108@basement.replay.com>
Reply To: <66q35r$7uq@examiner.concentric.net>
UTC Datetime: 1997-12-13 14:11:36 UTC
Raw Date: Sat, 13 Dec 1997 22:11:36 +0800

Raw message

From: nobody@REPLAY.COM (Anonymous)
Date: Sat, 13 Dec 1997 22:11:36 +0800
To: m2n@alpha.jpunix.com
Subject: Re: Another of Gary Burnore's Lies Exposed

"Sam" <sam-001@dpinc.ml.org> wrote:

> >:That's precisely my point.  And now he refuses to disclose his motives for
> >:that demand or what he intended to do with the names and addresses contained
> >:in those logs.  Every time he's asked the question of why he attempted to
> >:violate the privacy of hundreds or perhaps thousands of remailer users, it
> >:elicits another tantrum that goes, "Lies!  Prove it!  Why are you harassing
> >:me?  What are your demands?"
> >
> > You still can't answer it so you ignore it.
>
> What is the nature of the harassment that you are complaining about?  Has
> this anonymous individual mailbombed you?  Made threatening phone calls in
> the middle of the night?  All I see are a bunch of posts, without any
> profanities, that make a bunch of cogent points, and claims.  Is this what
> you consider harassment?  Is this what you call "harassment"?
>
> That must mean that I'm harassing you as well, right?

That is exactly my objection to the tactics of Gary Burnore and the DataBasix
gang.

NOW Gary claims that he's not against remailers, yet his treatment of Jeff
Burchell speaks for itself.  In the past, he's said things like "remailers
have their place, but their operators should prevent them from being used for
abuse".  That sounds reasonable, until you read between the lines.  He calls
the kind of discussion that the three of us are engaging in "harassment", and
has even, upon occasion, accused posts critical of him of constituting
"libel".  Yet he offers no suggestion of how a remailer operator is supposed
to detect and prevent "libel".  He has offered no handy-dandy Perl script
which will act as a "truth filter" and detect the truth or falsity of a
particular post, since posting the truth about someone, as unflattering as
it may be, is not "libel".

Actually, Gary may unwittingly prove to be a "friend" of remailers, yet.  His
dealings with people who challenge him publicly should serve as an object
lesson as to why people may wish to think twice before broadcasting their
e-mail addresses to the world with every Usenet posts.  Most people, I would
suspect, would not consider it great fun to speak their mind and face
retaliation by having an old state tax lien (complete with street address)
dredged from the archives and posted worldwide to usenet, with the threat that
unless the criticism ceases, "there's more where that came from".

It's sort of hard to harass an anonymous poster in that fashion, so Gary has
to settle for juvenile taunts of "anon asshole".

Thread