1997-12-23 - Re: Best Cypherpunk long gun (fwd)

Header Data

From: Tim May <tcmay@got.net>
To: cypherpunks@ssz.com (Cypherpunks Distributed Remailer)
Message Hash: 82d1b0d27f3a5bb3d66dc3386da04cf586d66dd539e5e8065498896c8139ea5a
Message ID: <v03102809b0c51f3aa36d@[207.167.93.63]>
Reply To: <199712230829.CAA23909@einstein.ssz.com>
UTC Datetime: 1997-12-23 09:07:15 UTC
Raw Date: Tue, 23 Dec 1997 17:07:15 +0800

Raw message

From: Tim May <tcmay@got.net>
Date: Tue, 23 Dec 1997 17:07:15 +0800
To: cypherpunks@ssz.com (Cypherpunks Distributed Remailer)
Subject: Re: Best Cypherpunk long gun (fwd)

At 1:29 AM -0700 12/23/97, Jim Choate wrote:

>I would go for a HK 93 or G3 model myself w/ Zeiss 3x9 scope w/ some sort of
>laser designator for long range (> 200 yds.). Chambered in .308 and will give
>about a 4 to 6-in. group at 600 yds. from what I have seen - very handy for
>shooting throug 4 in. brick walls as well. Very accurate (a very popular
>sniper weapon) and more than forgiving with the environment. It's little

 I can't agree that the HK 91 (the .308 version) is a popular sniper
weapon. Very few are in use in the U.S. (Heckler and Koch does have the
PSG-1, but at $10K it's too steep for U.S. departments).

For sniper work, a bolt-action is by far the most popular piece. The
Remington PSS (Police Sniper Special, as I recall) is common. (I almost got
this model, but like the Varmint Synthetic--Stainless Fluted (VS-SF) a bit
more.)

Check out Plaster's "The Ultimate Sniper" for more on current sniper
weapons, current as of 1994-5.

I'm also skeptical about lasers, for daylight use. The three lasers I have
owned have been good for indoor use, but visibility outdoors during the day
is very poor.

(IR lasers with IR night vision gear is another matter, but also another
price matter, too.)

>brother the MP-5 pretty much owns the SWAT and similar sorts of jobs.

>Course you ain't gonna touch the HK for less than a few $k and the Desert
>Eagles are over $1k.

Speaking of the MP-5, I had the civilian model, the SP-89, for a few years.
This had a laser on it. Fun to shoot, but the 9mm rounds are too wimpy for
my taste. (Considering the targets I'm preparing to defend myself against
are wearing body armor.)

I sold the SP-89 for $2400, well over twice what I paid for it. BTW,
getting a functioning, legal MP-5 will cost more like $5K. Hardly worth it.

--Tim May