1997-12-23 - Re: SPECIAL REPORT: Censorware in the Stacks

Header Data

From: dlv@bwalk.dm.com (Dr.Dimitri Vulis KOTM)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 8d79ef5ef12e3b25c06a5151ab8aea36f04fe3fa793e315b567f642ee96571de
Message ID: <wPg6He33w165w@bwalk.dm.com>
Reply To: <v03102806b0c4e9cd15f1@[207.167.93.63]>
UTC Datetime: 1997-12-23 05:40:02 UTC
Raw Date: Tue, 23 Dec 1997 13:40:02 +0800

Raw message

From: dlv@bwalk.dm.com (Dr.Dimitri Vulis KOTM)
Date: Tue, 23 Dec 1997 13:40:02 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: SPECIAL REPORT: Censorware in the Stacks

Tim May <tcmay@got.net> writes:

> At 11:04 AM -0700 12/22/97, David Honig wrote:
>
> >Note that if the library in question were not arm of the State,
> >noone would have any First Amendment claim.
> >
> >This is reminiscent of TM's recent (controversial) analysis of the fired
> >county trashworker/author,

Why should the state be in the business of hauling away trash anyway?

I can sort of see why the state might insist that you don't pile your
trash where it smells and bothers the neighbors, and let the people find
their own ways of disposing of their garbage - presumably hiring one of
several competing private garbage hauling companies, any one of whom will
perform better service for less money than the state.

And if a homeowner decides to switch garbage collectors because he doesn't
like what his present garbage collector says in print (or on Usenet), that
should be pretty painless for him and not a 1st amendment issue.

Lock and load (or load and lock if you happen to carry an AK-47)
Did you know that AK stands for Avtomat Kalashnikova?

---

Dr.Dimitri Vulis KOTM