1997-12-29 - Sniping & such…

Header Data

From: Jim Choate <ravage@ssz.com>
To: cypherpunks@ssz.com (Cypherpunks Distributed Remailer)
Message Hash: 8f29a05be5d4408d6d8a5f591c194177baee7b926943f6c9e4a72048d400c83a
Message ID: <199712291731.LAA02410@einstein.ssz.com>
Raw Date: Tue, 30 Dec 1997 01:11:23 +0800

Raw message

From: Jim Choate <ravage@ssz.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Dec 1997 01:11:23 +0800
To: cypherpunks@ssz.com (Cypherpunks Distributed Remailer)
Subject: Sniping & such...

Hi,

To address Tim's question about bolt-actions. As far as I know the Marine
sniper still uses the Remington 7.62 bolt-action as his arm of choice. The
beauty of the H&K blow-back mechanism is that it is very accurate at long
range compared to other gas operated mechanism.

However, in the situation we are discussion - taking on an assault team with
snipers, aka anti-sniping, this level of accuracy is irrelevant. The goal is
to stop the assault. To this end single shot accuracy is irrelevant. The
reason is that we are not trying to hit a 16 in.^2 piece of brain pan and
*not* hit the hostage in front. What we *are* trying to do is locate and
eliminate specific targets and any ancillary hits to personnel on that end
are a *good* thing. To that end I still like the H&K's because they have
the 3-shot selector. My goal would be to set my IIS to show hot targets as
black, with the black threshold about 90F. I would then pop off a 3-shot
group into anything that looked the least bit like a person. Think of it as
a .308 mini-shotgun at 600 yds. Under those conditions a 6-12 in. spread
*is* a good thing.

With this in mind, you would want to wear nomex to reduce your heat
signature, a gillie suit for reduced visual targeting, and some sort of cool
suit (from your local auto performance shop) with a modified and remote
dissipator to reduce your heat signature so that *their* scopes don't show
you as black. If you're in your house a good place to put the dissipator
would be in the bathtub or sink. You might also want to cool-suit the gun as
well. If you're in the field the dissipator should go behind and below your
level of site, it's probably a good thing to cover it with dirt or debris as
well.

   |      Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make       |
   |      violent revolution inevitable.                                |
   |                                          John F. Kennedy           |
   |                                                 ravage@ssz.com     |