1997-12-01 - Re: FC: Revolution and the limits of free speech online

Header Data

From: Mike Godwin <mnemonic@well.com>
To: declan@well.com
Message Hash: 90974e9bc69c4ac1f7d7675fae244341b11c1c02150afea1bc53e0f0147c8291
Message ID: <v03110702b0a88ced9138@[153.35.1.11]>
Reply To: <v0300780eb0a7fdaadba9@[204.254.22.168]>
UTC Datetime: 1997-12-01 16:14:58 UTC
Raw Date: Tue, 2 Dec 1997 00:14:58 +0800

Raw message

From: Mike Godwin <mnemonic@well.com>
Date: Tue, 2 Dec 1997 00:14:58 +0800
To: declan@well.com
Subject: Re: FC: Revolution and the limits of free speech online

The proper test is not the Yates test, but the test of Brandenburg v. U.S.
(1969, I believe), which distinguishes between mere advocacy of violence
and "incitement to imminent lawless action" that is "likely to result in
such action." Brandenburg is the leading case.

Under Brandenburg, Tim May or anyone else could call for violent revolution
(or for the commission of other violent acts) and the speech is understood
to be protected. Only an incitement to *imminent* (that is, immediate)
violent action, where such incitement is likely to cause an unreflective
response, is punishable.

The facts of Brandenburg concern a speech given at a KKK rally in which the
speaker called for a race war and "revengeance" against non-whites. The
speech was deemed to be protected by the First Amendment. The decision was
authored by Justice Hugo Black.

Mike

>----
>
>Date: Fri, 28 Nov 1997 00:45:48 -0500
>To: cypherpunks@toad.com
>From: Declan McCullagh <declan@well.com>
>Subject: Is Tim May guilty of illegally advocating revolution?
>
>So I've been reading "Freedom and the Court" by Henry Abraham, and a
>passage in it made me think of Tim May and the cypherpunks list:
>
>	"//Actual, overt// incitement of the overthrow of the government
>	of the United States by force and violence, accompanied by the
>	language of direct and imminent incitement, is not freedom of
>	expression but a violation of Court-upheld legislative
>	proscriptions; yet the //theoretical// advocacy of such
>	overthrow, on the other hand, has been a judicially recognized
>	protected freedom since 1957." [See Yates v. United States, 354
>	U.S. 298 (1957), particularly Mr. Justice Harlan's opinion for
>	the 6:1 court.] (Emphasis in the original. --DM)
>
>Some civil liberties lawyers, incidentally, have told me that Internet
>messages almost by definition are probably not "direct and imminent
>incitement."
>
>Some excerpts from Yates v. United States:
>
>http://caselaw.findlaw.com/scripts/getcase.pl?navby=case&court=US&vol=354&page=
>2
>9
>        The essential distinction [354 U.S. 298, 325] is that those to whom
>	the advocacy is addressed must be urged to do something, now or
>	in the future, rather than merely to believe in something. [...]
>
>        Instances of speech that could be considered to amount to "advocacy
>	of action" are so few and far between as to be almost completely
>	overshadowed by the hundreds of instances in the record in which
>	overthrow, if mentioned at all, occurs in the course of doctrinal
>	disputation so remote from action as to be almost wholly lacking
>	in probative value. Vague references to "revolutionary" or
>	"militant" action of an unspecified character, which are found
>	in the evidence, might in addition be given too great weight by
>	the jury in the absence of more precise instructions.
>	Particularly in light of this record, we must regard the trial
>	court's charge in this respect as furnishing wholly inadequate
>	guidance to the jury on this central point in the case. We cannot
>	allow a conviction to stand on such "an equivocal direction to
>	the jury on a basic issue."
>
>-Declan
>

>Date: Fri, 28 Nov 1997 07:25:01 -0500
>To: Declan McCullagh <declan@well.com>, cypherpunks@toad.com
>From: Duncan Frissell <frissell@panix.com>
>Subject: Re: Is Tim May guilty of illegally advocating revolution?
>
>At 12:45 AM 11/28/97 -0500, Declan McCullagh wrote:
>>So I've been reading "Freedom and the Court" by Henry Abraham, and a
>>passage in it made me think of Tim May and the cypherpunks list:
>
>There is no crime called "advocating revolution" or even
>"revolution."  The crime that is being discussed in such cases is
>"sedition."

> [...]

We shot a law in _Reno_, just to watch it die.

Mike Godwin, EFF Staff Counsel, is currently on leave from EFF,
participating as a Research Fellow at the Freedom Forum Media Studies
Center in New York City. He can be contacted at 212-317-6552.