1997-12-22 - Re: Frank Olson

Header Data

From: Adam Shostack <adam@homeport.org>
To: bill.stewart@pobox.com (Bill Stewart)
Message Hash: 932cf80fc9a9cdbf852b15e4728134ae15c8b48d4980c7f58699d61e2f6fd069
Message ID: <199712221452.JAA16682@homeport.org>
Reply To: <3.0.3.32.19971222014649.0069a4a4@popd.ix.netcom.com>
UTC Datetime: 1997-12-22 15:13:54 UTC
Raw Date: Mon, 22 Dec 1997 23:13:54 +0800

Raw message

From: Adam Shostack <adam@homeport.org>
Date: Mon, 22 Dec 1997 23:13:54 +0800
To: bill.stewart@pobox.com (Bill Stewart)
Subject: Re: Frank Olson

Bill Stewart wrote:

| And email to some foreign destinations was inherently suspicious -
| like Swiss banks.  I once knew a guy who used a remailer for his
| mail to his bank - he'd mail it to Raoul at the Tijuana post office,
| who'd take the cash and mail the inner envelope to the bank.
|
| Mail covers have been legal for a long time as well -
| as with pen registers on phones, they don't need a warrant to
| track your traffic.

	Theres an easy fix for this--write the return address on the
back of the envelope.  Perfectly legit, and makes them struggle to
show the return address matches the destination on the same bit of
mail.  Chain of evidence and all that.

	Like most easy fixes, its not complete.

Adam

					               -Hume