1997-12-18 - Re: Censorware Search Engine update and request for files

Header Data

From: “William H. Geiger III” <whgiii@invweb.net>
To: Declan McCullagh <declan@well.com>
Message Hash: a0c983ddb2b296478ff86cddffa3cd5f05c807cd9b8ec4d3578b5f46b2023c55
Message ID: <199712182329.SAA05550@users.invweb.net>
Reply To: <Pine.GSO.3.95.971218143713.5527C-100000@well.com>
UTC Datetime: 1997-12-18 23:45:28 UTC
Raw Date: Fri, 19 Dec 1997 07:45:28 +0800

Raw message

From: "William H. Geiger III" <whgiii@invweb.net>
Date: Fri, 19 Dec 1997 07:45:28 +0800
To: Declan McCullagh <declan@well.com>
Subject: Re: Censorware Search Engine update and request for files

In <Pine.GSO.3.95.971218143713.5527C-100000@well.com>, on 12/18/97
   at 02:37 PM, Declan McCullagh <declan@well.com> said:

>Over at the Netly News Network, we've decided it's time to update our
>Censorware Search Engine. For those of you who haven't checked it
>recently, it's a one-of-a-kind web site that lets you see if you've been
>blocked by filtering software:

>  http://cgi.pathfinder.com/netly/spoofcentral/censored/

>We're planning to update this with newer decrypted lists from some of the
>vendors like SurfWatch, CyberPatrol, and so on. If you have a list and
>you'd like it to be included, please send it along.

Just out of curiousity I did a search on pathfinder.com :)

CyberPatrol:
    http://binone.pathfinder.com/cgi-bin/boa SexActs

CyberSitter:
    pathfinder.com

SurfWatch:
    http://bubblemouth.pathfinder.com/@@srbndqaaaaaaaeeg/vibe/archive/independant/blackspot
    http://mouth.pathfinder.com/@@srbndqaaaaaaaeeg/vibe/archive/independant/blackspot

No surprise that Cybersitter has the entire domain blocked. Odd the
SurfWatch blocks the archives for Vibe magazine yet does not block
www.vibe.com. The URL blocked by CyberPatrol is invalid.

There was someone who did this awhile back and promptly had his domain
blocked by these self appointed protectors of "Truth, Democracy, and The
American Way".

I was rather disappointed (though not surprised) watching the Censorship
Summit a couple of weeks ago that no one took these self appointed Censors
to task on the fact that they block sites not mearly on the type of
information contained (sex,drugs,violence,...ect) but also block based on
political content that disagrees with their own beliefs. Sure fire way to
get a site blocked is not to put "dirty" pictures up on it but to put up
anything that brings to light the actions of these groups.

An intriguing side note is that ALL these groups considers their Censor
Lists to be IP. Add that with the new Criminalization of copyright
infringement and we may see Declan sharing a cell with Jim Bell. :)

- --
William H. Geiger III  http://users.invweb.net/~whgiii

OS/2 PGP 2.6.3a at: http://users.invweb.net/~whgiii/pgpmr2.html

Thread