1997-12-02 - Re: More Government Sanctioned Theft

Header Data

From: “Brian B. Riley” <brianbr@together.net>
To: <cypherpunks@www.video-collage.com>
Message Hash: b012e27f06b85f2c39a0b27682697e2cc78471d6a6d3ca6b2f73e502f3cf15fc
Message ID: <199712021249.HAA26733@mx02.together.net>
Raw Date: Tue, 2 Dec 1997 21:02:41 +0800

Raw message

From: "Brian B. Riley" <brianbr@together.net>
Date: Tue, 2 Dec 1997 21:02:41 +0800
To: <cypherpunks@www.video-collage.com>
Subject: Re: More Government Sanctioned Theft

On 12/1/97 4:16 PM, Igor Chudov @ home (ichudov@www.video-collage.com)
passed this wisdom:

>In ok.general, Jerry Morgan <jmorgan@galstar.com> wrote:
>* easttom@redriverok.com (Chuck Easttom) wrote:
>* >   2.  What the hell legit reason is there for a man to be driving
>*         around with 132 K in a truck??
>*
>* The simple possession of any amount of money is not subject to "police
>* approval", unless of course we are living in a police state.

 I am not sure, but it seems to me that there is some sort of currency
control laws that say that you cannot have 10K or mor ein oyur possession
unless you show there is a good reason, like on your way to the bank,
being abusiness heading for the bank atthe end of the day etc, and of
course banks report deposits of 10K or more. I know of two different
people who were not 'in business' who did perfectly legal transactions
that left them with 32K and 47K in cash each instead of big checks and
who simply deposited it. One recieved a phone call and the other a visit
by IRS asking 'what, why, where' etc within two weeks of depositing money.

Brian B. Riley --> http://members.macconnect.com/~brianbr
   For PGP Keys  <mailto:brianbr@together.net?subject=Get%20PGP%20Key>

  "Patriotism is the last refuge of the scoundrel" -- Samuel Johnson
  "With all due respect to an enlightened but inferior lexicographer I
    beg to submit that it is the first."
           -- Ambrose Bierce's commentary on Johnson's definition.

Thread