1997-12-19 - Fees for delivery not set by standards committees

Header Data

From: Tim May <tcmay@got.net>
To: cypherpunks@cyberpass.net
Message Hash: bb1e9bbcb8c1c9096e929c9ca8c336836b371adf80753580cd1e203bec2172fe
Message ID: <v03102802b0c04757302a@[207.167.93.63]>
Reply To: <349b9ea2.5036920@128.2.84.191>
UTC Datetime: 1997-12-19 16:58:25 UTC
Raw Date: Sat, 20 Dec 1997 00:58:25 +0800

Raw message

From: Tim May <tcmay@got.net>
Date: Sat, 20 Dec 1997 00:58:25 +0800
To: cypherpunks@cyberpass.net
Subject: Fees for delivery not set by standards committees

At 3:26 PM -0700 12/17/97, Steve Schear wrote:
>>On 17 Dec 1997 02:21:48 -0600, in local.cypherpunks you wrote:
>>Yes, but if you just phase it in over time, what benefit, if any, will
>>users see until hashcash is fully deployed.  Until that time, people will
>>still have to accept email without hashcash or risk losing important
>>messages.
>
>If I want to send an important message to you and I get a hashcash
>rejection reponse and I'm given a Web site where I can get a Java applet
>to create the hashcash, I'll do it.  We all know we must affix postage to
>our snailmail. Its time to embrace the postal system's paradigm and
>educate the reminder of the Net.  Those

This "We all know we must affix postage to our snailmail. " is misleading,
as there is no "must affix postage" ontologically wired into mail delivery.
Or package delivery. Indeed, package deliverers charge what the market will
bear, and prices move around as competitors jockey for market share.

If a private network decides to charge for packet delivery, then the price
will be what the price is, determined by a variety of factors. Ditto for
remailers.

The solution is not at the "international standards" level.

>All we need is a small, influential, group to sing the praises of
>hashcash.  I'm sure Declan and Wired will pick up the banner if what we
>come up with works.  After that IETF activity is a far gone conclusion.

"Far gone" is probably correct. Foregone is not.

I doubt that puff pieces in "Wired" will do much. And all those cover
stories showing Jaron Lanier and his dreadlocks jacking into virtual
reality did exactly what for VR, besides selling some magazines?

--Tim May