1997-12-07 - Re: Encrypted Horsemen Safe for Kiddies

Header Data

From: Alan Olsen <alan@clueserver.org>
To: Eric Cordian <emc@wire.insync.net>
Message Hash: c0657f4b5abe956465af18e211fee4b3abeca15f5c3cd8b1365edbe986a1f6c2
Message ID: <199712070100.RAA31148@www.ctrl-alt-del.com>
Reply To: <199712062114.PAA26384@wire.insync.net>
UTC Datetime: 1997-12-07 00:03:46 UTC
Raw Date: Sun, 7 Dec 1997 08:03:46 +0800

Raw message

From: Alan Olsen <alan@clueserver.org>
Date: Sun, 7 Dec 1997 08:03:46 +0800
To: Eric Cordian <emc@wire.insync.net>
Subject: Re: Encrypted Horsemen Safe for Kiddies

At 03:14 PM 12/6/97 -0600, Eric Cordian wrote:

>Good one, Bob.
>
>-----
>
>WASHINGTON, D.C. -- Online pornographers should be required to use
>encryption, said Rep. Bob Goodlatte, (R, Va.) Tuesday at the Internet
>Online Summit: Focus on Children conference held here.
>
>"That would certainly keep it away from children," said Goodlatte.
>"I'm not advocating encryption to let pornography flourish."
>
>Goodlatte, a champion of loosening encryption legislation, has
>sponsored legislation to allow the export of encryption products and
>another bill in the intellectual property arena, as well as another
>bill increasing liability for those found guilty of running Internet
>gambling operations.
>
>Goodlatte was the afternoon speaker in place of Newt Gingrich, speaker
>of the House, who couldn't attend.
>
>In addition, Attorney General Janet Reno postponed her appearance
>until Wednesday morning at 10:30.
>
>Goodlatte took the opportunity to speak of the Clinton adminstration's
>policy on encryption. "The Clinton administration's current encryption
>policies are a severe hinderance on the development of the full
>potential of the Internet," he said.
>
>He also said the House Judiciary Committee will begin a review of the
>Clinton administration's enforcement of laws on obscenity.

>From the A.P. Notwire...

House Rep. Arrested on Morals Charge

Rep. Bob Goodlatte was arrested today for selling PGP at a local
schoolyard.  "Since there has been so much scrutiny on election
contributions, we have to get cash however we can." Rep. Goodlatte said.
It is not known how much money was raised by Rep. Goodlatte in this
fashion.  An unknown accomplice known only as "Truthmonger" is sought by
the Justice Department in regards to this incident.

In other news, Rep. Goodlatte faces a trademark suit from the Starbucks
corporation over his name.  "Goodlatte is associated solely with our
company.  Therefore the use of that name violates our intellectual property
rights.", said a Starbucks Spokesperson.

---
|              "That'll make it hot for them!" - Guy Grand               |
|"The moral PGP Diffie taught Zimmermann unites all| Disclaimer:         |
| mankind free in one-key-steganography-privacy!"  | Ignore the man      |
|`finger -l alano@teleport.com` for PGP 2.6.2 key  | behind the keyboard.|
|         http://www.ctrl-alt-del.com/~alan/       |alan@ctrl-alt-del.com|

Thread