1997-12-18 - Re: Can I do Pubkic Domain that -

Header Data

From: Tim May <tcmay@got.net>
To: David Honig <bd1011@hotmail.com>
Message Hash: d95c78bea09793303a3ce73870970f47ce6195e01d0039107a77aad3f2f06388
Message ID: <v03102804b0bf2f0944f7@[207.167.93.63]>
Reply To: <01bd0b5d$497dfee0$69737018@eudoxus.bc.rogers.wave.ca>
UTC Datetime: 1997-12-18 21:07:15 UTC
Raw Date: Fri, 19 Dec 1997 05:07:15 +0800

Raw message

From: Tim May <tcmay@got.net>
Date: Fri, 19 Dec 1997 05:07:15 +0800
To: David Honig <bd1011@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: Can I do Pubkic Domain that -

At 12:04 PM -0700 12/18/97, David Honig wrote:
>At 06:33 PM 12/17/97 -0800, Bruce Balden wrote:
>>
>>Those guys just never learn that not only is the barn door open, but that
>>contents were never theirs to begin with.
>>

>They blew their chance to regulate *computers* as military tech.
>Computers, after all, were developed by the military for ballistic, bombs,
>and codes.

I can't follow your logic here. Several points:

* The government _has_ regulated the export of computers for a long time,
in the COCOM rules, and still in other rules covering computers. (A famous
benchmark was how fast a computer or other system could compute a
particular FFT--any faster than some threshold and the computer could not
be freely exported, least of all to various Bad Nations.)

* As for "regulate *computers* as military tech," domestically, there are
very, very few technologies the government has the authority to regulate
domestically. Nuclear and biological weapons are one example (with specific
enabling legislation). A few other technologies. (For example, making a gun
in one's machine shop can violate various confusing gun laws.) But the
"regulate *computers* as military tech" line just doesn't make sense.

* Nor is it clear that computers were developed "for" military uses. True,
some earlier computers were used by the military, and the development bill
was paid for by the military. But unless specific patents are involved,
such early uses most definitely do not give the military control over later
developments!

(Nor do I think the military played the dominant role. I have long heard
about how the space program caused the microprocessor to be invented.
Nonsense. I was at Intel from 1974 to 1986, and have also read many
histories of the 1960s developements, and can argue without fear of
correction that neither military nor NASA spending had much if anything to
do with the developments.)

--Tim May