1997-12-09 - Re: Cato forum tomorrow: should money laundering be a crime?

Header Data

From: Mix <mixmaster@remail.obscura.com>
To: cypherpunks@cyberpass.net
Message Hash: daa02b66ee6596c53116315c0305e36f910426cdf232770aeb471aa8e8e56a2f
Message ID: <199712092004.MAA01059@sirius.infonex.com>
Raw Date: Wed, 10 Dec 1997 04:25:37 +0800

Raw message

From: Mix <mixmaster@remail.obscura.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 1997 04:25:37 +0800
To: cypherpunks@cyberpass.net
Subject: Re: Cato forum tomorrow: should money laundering be a crime?

Lucky Green wrote:

>If the feds can *kill* you for any reason or no reason at all, they
>certainly can throw you into the slammer for  whatever you may choose to
>utter.

>From Thoreau's "Civil Disobedience":

"Under a government which imprisons any unjustly, the true place for a just
man is also a prison."

[...]

"If the injustice is part of the necessary friction of the machine of
government, let it go, let it go: perchance it will wear smooth, -certainly
the machine will wear out.  If the injustice has a spring, or a pulley, or a
rope, or a crank, exclusively for itself, then perhaps you may consider
whether the remedy will not be worse than the evil; but if it is of such a
nature that it requires you to be the agent of injustice to another, then, I
say, break the law.  Let your life be a counter friction to stop the
machine.  What I have to do is to see, at any rate, that I do not lend
myself to the wrong which I condemn."

Thread