1997-12-15 - The “warnings” several of us received from Big Brother

Header Data

From: Tim May <tcmay@got.net>
To: cypherpunks@cyberpass.net
Message Hash: f8d21fff29e5c0e3257fc036b0c59ef1b3c05a23cf629c851dc4a3500de12b90
Message ID: <v03102804b0bb1490467e@[207.167.93.63]>
Reply To: <a3VcpW2klLwAYskYVqKWcw==@bureau42.ml.org>
UTC Datetime: 1997-12-15 18:30:07 UTC
Raw Date: Tue, 16 Dec 1997 02:30:07 +0800

Raw message

From: Tim May <tcmay@got.net>
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 1997 02:30:07 +0800
To: cypherpunks@cyberpass.net
Subject: The "warnings" several of us received from Big Brother

At 10:22 AM -0700 12/15/97, Anonymous wrote:
>bureau42 Anonymous Remailer <nobody@bureau42.ml.org> writes:

>> I've seen brief mention of this before, but have never seen
>> any details on the list. Aside from Jim Choate questioning
>> my arithmetic or attention span, would anyone be kind enough
>> to provide pointers to information about incidents of c-p
>> list members having received unsolicited email from .gov?
>
>Check the archives.  There was plenty of discussion when it happened.
>
>I'm convinced they used names pulled out of Bell's computer, not a
>cypherpunks subscriber list as they sent my copy of the SPAM to an
>email address that had long been retired at the time of the mailing,
>but had been used to exchange email with Jim.  Far more active list
>members than I didn't get a copy.

I got _two_ of the apparent "warnings," received by me before there was
even any public announcement of the Jim Bell raid. As Anonymous notes in
his message (snipped here), one of them was titled "Death to Tyrants!."

The headers show no signs of standard forgery, and point back to government
computers.

I took this as warning that Big Brother is planning more raids and is
trying to intimidate outspoken critics.

Some country we live in, eh? The Land of the Freeh.

--Tim May