1998-01-26 - Re: Tossing your cookies [Re: Why no “Banner Ad Eaters”?]

Header Data

From: “Brian B. Riley” <brianbr@together.net>
To: “Jim Gillogly” <cypherpunks@cyberpass.net>
Message Hash: 010e281e2439801d9b160f94ed724ee56ef3f44e18aca520a53e53b3b52ad55d
Message ID: <199801260341.WAA02927@mx01.together.net>
Raw Date: Mon, 26 Jan 1998 11:46:48 +0800

Raw message

From: "Brian B. Riley" <brianbr@together.net>
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 1998 11:46:48 +0800
To: "Jim Gillogly" <cypherpunks@cyberpass.net>
Subject: Re: Tossing your cookies [Re: Why no "Banner Ad Eaters"?]

On 1/25/98 12:16 PM, Jim Gillogly (jim@acm.org)  passed this wisdom:

>Heinz-Juergen Keller skribis:
>> Just a silly? question on cookies:
>> What will happen if I just link cookies.txt to /dev/null ?
>> Is there anything speaking against this solution?
>
>Works fine on Unix and Linux systems if you're not a cookie fan:
>the remote sites think you've eaten their cookies, but you've
>merely frisbeed them into the bit bin.
>
>It's better than telling Netscape you want to be asked: some
>sites set a dozen cookies per hit, seems like, and saying "no"
>to each gets immediately tedious.  If you tell Netscape to reject
>them, some sites won't serve you the content.  Setting the browser
>to accept everything and linking cookies.txt to /dev/null works
>well for me.

 On a Mac you can erase the cookies file and then create a folder by the
same name in its place ...

Brian B. Riley --> http://members.macconnect.com/~brianbr
 For PGP Keys  <mailto:brianbr@together.net?subject=Get%20PGP%20Key>

  "One of the deep mysteries to me is our logo, the symbol of lust
   and knowledge, bitten into, all crossed with in the colors of the
   rainbow in the wrong order. You couldn't dream of a more
   appropriate logo: lust, knowledge, hope, and anarchy."
   -- Gassee - Apple Logo

Thread