1998-01-17 - call for proposals: “Media, Democracy and the Public Sphere” inJune 1998

Header Data

From: Bill Frantz <frantz@netcom.com>
To: cypherpunks@cyberpass.net
Message Hash: 04ade3e7564adf37b4b76803f58f5cadbcd30fe272020bb288bea179f96dfb20
Message ID: <v0311074fb0e616e58ae8@[207.94.249.133]>
Raw Date: Sun, 18 Jan 1998 02:56:39 +0800

Raw message

From: Bill Frantz <frantz@netcom.com>
Date: Sun, 18 Jan 1998 02:56:39 +0800
To: cypherpunks@cyberpass.net
Subject: call for proposals:  "Media, Democracy and the Public Sphere" inJune 1998

I wonder what these peoples' take on the Internet is?  If the net isn't a
"democratic public sphere", what is?

>Date: Fri, 16 Jan 1998 13:56:01 -0800 (PST)
>Sender: cda96-l@willamette.edu
>From: "T. L. Kelly" <room101@teleport.com>
>To: Multiple recipients of list <cda96-l@willamette.edu>
>Subject: call for proposals:  "Media, Democracy and the Public Sphere" in
>June 1998
>
>The Union for Democratic Communications (UDC) invites participation in
>its next international meeting, June 11-14, 1998, in San Francisco,
>California, addressing the topic "Media, Democracy and the Public
>Sphere."
>
>UDC welcomes papers, audiovisual works, panels, workshops and projects
>that break with traditional, monological approaches, to promote dialogue
>and interaction around questions of critical communications and media
>activism, as suggested below.  Please send proposals for presentations
>by no later than MARCH 1, 1998, to:
>
>        Prof. Bernadette Barker-Plummer
>        1998 UDC Conference Chair
>        Department of Communication
>        University of San Francisco
>        2130 Fulton Street
>        San Francisco, CA 94117
>     email: barkerplum@usfca.edu
>
>The UDC steering committee suggests the following perspectives on the
>conference topic, "Media, Democracy and the Public Sphere":  the mass
>media are flourishing today;  a democratic public sphere is not.  What,
>then, are the possibilities of resolving the conflicts between a "mass"
>media and a "democratic" public sphere?
>
>Facets of this question which participants may wish to address include
>the concept of "the public interest"; the role of public media systems
>in the creation of a democratic public sphere; the role of media policy
>in helping or hindering democracy; the role of media in
>(trans)national"democratization" processes; the dissemination of radical
>claims through alternative, community and mainstream media; the ways in
>which the everyday media practices of the public help or hinder the
>creation of a democratic public sphere; the education of media workers
>in the interest of democracy; and the utilization of information
>technolgies for and against democracy.
>
>The host institution is arranging affordable conference housing on the
>campus of the University of San Francisco, which, however, requires
>timely registration.  Please send in your proposal early to faciliate
>rapid notification of acceptances in early March!  The San Francisco
>host committee is also scheduling plenary sessions with featured
>speakers and joint evening outings into the city.  This promises to be
>an very engaged and productive gathering of international media
>activists, practitioners, theorists and historians. Please contact Prof.
>Barker-Plummer, conference chair, with any questions:
>     barkerplum@usfca.edu

Bill Frantz       |                            | Periwinkle -- Consulting
(408)356-8506     | All politicians should ski.| 16345 Englewood Ave.
frantz@netcom.com |                            | Los Gatos, CA 95032, USA

Thread