1998-01-24 - Re: Netscape 5 will be GPL’ed

Header Data

From: Vipul Ved Prakash <mail@vipul.net>
To: adam@homeport.org
Message Hash: 1ea8733131a359d94def7f24b026a52396138a8b0e8115e11b86e3691eec98fb
Message ID: <199801240659.GAA03702@fountainhead.net>
Reply To: <199801231938.OAA19072@homeport.org>
UTC Datetime: 1998-01-24 01:50:16 UTC
Raw Date: Sat, 24 Jan 1998 09:50:16 +0800

Raw message

From: Vipul Ved Prakash <mail@vipul.net>
Date: Sat, 24 Jan 1998 09:50:16 +0800
To: adam@homeport.org
Subject: Re: Netscape 5 will be GPL'ed

Adam Shostack wrote:

> 	I'm not sure that this is the message they're sending at all.
> They're trying to work the Linux/GNU model of getting a horde of
> volunteer programmers to improve their product, and base other
> products on it, because of the ease of integration.  I don't know that
> security was even on their minds.

It doesn't matter. In fact this is the smartest thing they
could have done.  Given their recent financial predicament
and the level of competence and cluefulness they have shown
in the past, I am amazed they didn't let inertia and their
investment in the anti-civilization (and pointy haired
managers) hold them back.

I feel that Microsoft's extremely determined attempts to corner
the browser market has forced them to stop evading reality
for a while. They seem to have realized that the best model
for their business is Caldera/Redhat/Stronghold model. To add
value to already existing free software that adheres to an open
standard. Releasing Netscape 5 code will effectively ensure
them a standard to capitalize on.

Best,
Vipul

Links:

x. http://www.openspace.org/ has setup up a forum for developing
   free Netscape.

x. http://slashdot.org/slashdot.cgi?mode=article&artnum=425
   http://www.slashdot.org/slashdot.cgi?mode=article&artnum=499
   this guy first suggested that netscape should go GPL (on january 12)
   and predicted they'll do it right away.

--
Powell lingered. "How's Earth?"
It was a conventional enough question and Muller gave the

Thread