1998-01-16 - Re: Sun to fight MS w/ new workstations [CNN]

Header Data

From: nobody@REPLAY.COM (Anonymous)
To: cypherpunks@ssz.com
Message Hash: 2a4502952231244bfda02ac572b188bdc2fe6739d8c8d6ad77f4fa183131fe77
Message ID: <199801162300.AAA03770@basement.replay.com>
Reply To: <199801130006.SAA24034@einstein.ssz.com>
UTC Datetime: 1998-01-16 23:05:23 UTC
Raw Date: Sat, 17 Jan 1998 07:05:23 +0800

Raw message

From: nobody@REPLAY.COM (Anonymous)
Date: Sat, 17 Jan 1998 07:05:23 +0800
To: cypherpunks@ssz.com
Subject: Re: Sun to fight MS w/ new workstations [CNN]

>    More related sites... PALO ALTO, Calif.(Reuters) - Sun Microsystems
>    Inc. will launch a new line of workstations Tuesday, aiming to
>    challenge its rivals and blunt the spread into markets for
>    high-powered desktop computers used by engineers of PCs using
>    Microsoft Corp.'s Windows NT.

Hmm...  Considering that you can buy a PC w/ Linux and have a Unix
workstation for less than the cost of a new computer with NT, I wonder
who Sun is really targetting here.

Most of the people buying NT are the same people who bought their last
OS from Microsoft, and don't feel like trying anything new.  Sun's real
problem is that they were charging much more for their computers than
it would cost to put together the parts.  Hence, the drop in demand.

But I suppose 'The evil Microsoft Empire is taking away our customers'
makes for better headlines, even if it is bullshit.

Thread