1998-01-18 - Voice Coding Controls

Header Data

From: John Young <jya@pipeline.com>
To: cypherpunks@cyberpass.net
Message Hash: 2b97df740ea65bed780597ff45d4f39ed0d940510847b1b20636aea73d368a77
Message ID: <1.5.4.32.19980118233849.0071684c@pop.pipeline.com>
Raw Date: Mon, 19 Jan 1998 07:38:32 +0800

Raw message

From: John Young <jya@pipeline.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 1998 07:38:32 +0800
To: cypherpunks@cyberpass.net
Subject: Voice Coding Controls

DM notes of the BXA Wassenaar rule for voice coding:

   After looking at some of the Wassenaar docs, I was
   surprised to see that the CCL wants to regulate speech
   encoders that operate at less than 2400 bps. Surprising
   because it was encoding, not encryption, that was being
   regulated. This is disturbing.

   This at first seemed to put some of the Nautilus development
   team's software in jeopardy, but I believe that by the letter
   of the law (or regulation) that all coders in Nautilus are not
   subject to the CCL, as they only go as low as 2400 bps
   and not less than.

For citations of voice coding in Category 5 - Telecommunications:

   http://jya.com/bxa-wa-cat5.htm#5A001b10

   http://jya.com/bxa-wa-cat5.htm#5A991b6a

Thread