1998-01-03 - Re: Location Escrow anyone ?

Header Data

From: Alexandre Maret <amaret@infomaniak.ch>
To: Remo Pini <rp@rpini.com>
Message Hash: 43e6e84dfbbb8f6bdf8167f36594e79667fc5cf844169ac4a2d4c44cdf5e495a
Message ID: <34AE4047.212669B2@infomaniak.ch>
Reply To: <c=AU%a=TELEMEMO_%p=TAFENSW%l=ISF10-980102034537Z-4222@ixf2m1.isd.tafensw.edu.au>
UTC Datetime: 1998-01-03 13:49:44 UTC
Raw Date: Sat, 3 Jan 1998 21:49:44 +0800

Raw message

From: Alexandre Maret <amaret@infomaniak.ch>
Date: Sat, 3 Jan 1998 21:49:44 +0800
To: Remo Pini <rp@rpini.com>
Subject: Re: Location Escrow anyone ?

The LPD (law on data protection) :
	http://193.5.216.40/ch/f/rs/235_1/index.html
	http://193.5.216.40/ch/f/rs/235_11/index.html
	(in french, italian, german only)

The LPD states that you can get a copy of your database entry printed
on paper, for a cost of max 300SFrs (about US$200), unless some special
cases which have to be specified in the law. Since the debate is based
on the fact that there is no legal text that allows swisscom to record
these informations, there is no legal text that allow them not to
communicate your informations on request. I'm not a jurist, but it
may be an interesting path to follow.

If they store the location of your phone every 3 secs, for 6 month,
this means 5'241'600 locations. Printed on 70 lines/page paper,
this means 74'880 A4 pages. Do you think they'd be happy to print
and send you 74'880 pages for 300SFrs ?

There is certain rules that allow them to postpone your request.
However, they have to tell you before. Just wondering what would
happen if 100'000 people asks for their last 6 month of positions...

> >Swiss Federal Data Protection Commissioner: http://www.edsb.ch/
> >mostly empty... not a word about these 2 stories. you see how the
> >swiss people are informed...
>
> Now this guy (Odilo Guntern) seems to have no clue about anything...

Last month, I was thinking about launching a web site to inform
swiss citizen about these issues. A kind of swiss EPIC. However,
I can't do this alone.

If anybody is interested by this idea, drop me a mail.

> Wanna get more paranoid? Some companies log all Internet traffic of their
> employees

hmmm... no need to become more paranoid, enough is enough.

> that passes through their proxy (which you have to use for anything to
> work) for
> some weeks (Weren't you the one chatting on #really-naughty-bits for more
> than 1
> hour on Monday??).
> And of course, phonenumbers you call in your company are logged, too.

swisscom does it. They log all the internal/external mail of their
employees...

  alex

Thread