1998-01-24 - Re: Sucking Sound…

Header Data

From: Kent Crispin <kent@songbird.com>
To: cypherpunks@cyberpass.net
Message Hash: 66cd6bbdd8437c8653ec94586812064cfe20981a95c44f4004ffbfa718aec60c
Message ID: <19980123235636.36170@songbird.com>
Reply To: <3.0.3.32.19980123083544.006a9088@popd.netcruiser>
UTC Datetime: 1998-01-24 08:03:21 UTC
Raw Date: Sat, 24 Jan 1998 16:03:21 +0800

Raw message

From: Kent Crispin <kent@songbird.com>
Date: Sat, 24 Jan 1998 16:03:21 +0800
To: cypherpunks@cyberpass.net
Subject: Re: Sucking Sound...

On Fri, Jan 23, 1998 at 06:30:27PM -0800, Tim May wrote:
> At 8:35 AM -0800 1/23/98, Jonathan Wienke wrote:
>
> >Has anyone else heard a "giant sucking sound" from the vicinity of the
> >White House lately?
>
> If that was an intentional pun, a good one.
>
> But I had been marveling at how the Clinton troubles were being ignored by
> the Cypherpunks...I figured we were all so jaded about government and the
> criminals who flourish in Washington that there was no point in commenting
> on this latest revelation of corruption. (The apparent perjury, suborning
> perjury, and witness-tampering, not the affair with Lewinsky, however
> tawdry it was.)
>
> It would have been interesting to see the whole process leading up to
> Clinton's resignation (next week?) pass without any discussion by us.
>
> (Actually, I threw in an aside yesterday about "President Gore," but no one
> picked up on it.)
>
> Personally, I think having a crippled and ineffective President is better
> than having an activist bozo President Gore, so I'm kind of hoping this
> whole affairs takes several more months to unwind.

Tim has missed the most important part of this whole episode: the fact
that Linda Tripp was wearing a wire, and apparently working for the
FBI.  Think for a moment about the position this puts what's his name
in -- you know, the guy who's name begins with an "F", who works for
Janet Reno...

In fact I am amazed that cp's in general haven't picked up on the
potential significance of this.  Think back to just a few short weeks
ago, when Freeh and Reno had their little spat...

What do you think about congressional resistance to wiretaps, in
light of current events?

--
Kent Crispin				"No reason to get excited",
kent@songbird.com			the thief he kindly spoke...

Thread